Okay, I know this is two posts in one day. However it's because I have a lot of questions and technically don't have an appt for three days until Thursday at my RE's. For those of you who have done IVF...when they do your ultrasound at day three and see follicles (I had 13) and then you start meds (I did yesterday), how many more follicles are you supposed to develop? How does this number of eggs correlate with the number retrieved? Also, when eggs are retrieved how many are fertilized usually? How many are fertilized if ICSI is used on all eggs retrieved usually? Also, of all eggs fertilized, how many usually make it to a three day transfer?
I know there are a lot of variances from person to person...but I am just curious. If you know of any friends or fellow bloggers who may have some insight to this..please forward this along or point them in my direction...much thanks in advance!
20 comments:
Nope, I have no idea but you could have it posted on Lost and Found.
Sara - I think you might get a couple more follicles to develop, or that were hidden on your day 3 ultrasound. However your antral follicle count is a pretty good measure of about how many follicles you are going to get in a cycle. Antral follicle counts vary from cycle to cycle. So this month you had 13, next month you might have 18, the following month 12, etc. okay now I forgot your other question. I'll post this and come back
Okay regarding retrieval, fertilization, of course it varies from person to person, but I go with the 75-80% rule (I have no idea if that is correct, but based on my own experience and watchin other people's cycles, that is my best educated guess). So if you have 15 follicles, you will hopefully get 11-12 mature eggs, of those about 9 will fertilize. Of the embryos - hopefully 6-7 will be super duper grade As for transfer or freezing. You are young so most likely you will have higher quality eggs so they may all fertilize and all be fabulous.
oh and the same goes for ICSI. In fact I think ICSI would be even higher because they are injecting the sperm direclty into the egg. We are doing ICSI on all of them, although that's because we have male factor. Sorry for the multi-comments.
Hi Sara. Not only is each person different but each RE does things differently as well.
In my experience (I have PCOS) I usually have twice as many follies than eggs at retrieval. My Doc aims for around 8 eggs, believing the quality is better with fewer numbers. Without ICSI we were getting a 50% fert rate, with ICSI about 60%. Ours are grown to day 5,by which time we may have 2-3 still going.
But thats just me. I'm afraid you will just have to wait and see ;)
Best of luck.
Really it varies so much person to person, although I think soapchick's statements generally ring true.
Fertilization with ICSI usually results in a higher fertilization rate;6 out of my 7 were fertilized. It just depends on the quality/maturity of the egg, I suppose.
You'll probably get a few more follicles than the 13 your AFC revealed. As for how many follicles will contain eggs, I'm not sure. They won't trigger you until at least a few of your follies are close to 18mm probably. We did ICSI, and of the 10 eggs retrieved, 8 were mature, and 7 fertilized. Of those 7, 2 8-celled were transferred and 3 (I believe 2 8- and 1 6-cell were frozen). The other two didn't develop.
I haven't done ICSI, but usually I have very few follies on my day 3. By the time I trigger about 10 days later, I have had 20-30 follicles. Remember that not every follicle will have an egg, and not every egg will be mature. My average number of egs retireved has been 20. Of those, usually about 15-18 fertilized. You are right, everyone is different, but they consider anything over 50% fertilization rate good. I hope you can relax and enjoy your cycle.
As for transfer, that depends on how many have fertilized and how many cells are good enough. Frex, I had a day 3 transfer using 2 eggs (one of which my husband is feeding at this moment) which were grade A. I had a lot of eggs and a high fertilization count, and they developed quickly, so we went for day 3. From the experiences of others, it appears that fewer eggs and slower developement lead to day 5 transfers instead. And, of course, it's also up to the whims of your RE and what they prefer.
Hey Sara! I've been a bad blog friend! I wanted to check in. I've pretty much given up on trying to catch up on everyone, but I'm starting fresh from here on out :) I don't input on your questions but I hope you get the answers you are seeking!
Thanks for checking in on me. :)
I'm not much help with your ER questions, but I hope you get some helpful answers!
Hmmm. I don't know much about those - I know that generally 1/2 of the eggs retrived are mature, how many fertilize and how many make it to transfer just depends on the embies themselves.
Hey friend,
Thanks for your comment. :-)
I'll try and send you an email tomorrow with an update and give you the scoop. :-)
Can you email me so I can send you the password for my protected posts? My email is angela10angel@aol.com
You've no doubt seen my stats before but in the interest of information I'll post them here :)
I didn't have a day 3 u/s, just one on day 10 of stims. I did 200 units of Puregon for 11 days, have only 1 ovary and I was 30.5 years old.
At my u/s they counted 10 follies, but I got 12 eggs. Fert rate is around 60% I think.
I had ICSI on all the eggs (donor sperm, so no MF issues) and 7 fertilised. I don't know what they were doing on day 3, but I had one transferred on day 4, and 3 frozen on day 6.
Sounds like you're off to a good start, cycle buddy! Fingers and toes crossed for you!
Not sure if you have read my blog, but at my earliest u/s I had 10 follicles. Four days later, I had 12. Two days later, I had 13, but only 2 were over 10 mm. By the time of ER, I supposedly had 11 mature follicles, but they retrieved only 5 to 6 eggs. Not every follicle had an egg in it. Of the eggs they got, only 2 were viable, and they did ICSI on both. One egg made it to 3-day transfer. I am 36, so your eggs are probably MUCH better than mine. Hope that helps! Praying for success for you!
I just tagged you! Details on my blog if you are interested.
Hey There!
So how did your Thursday appointment go? Did you get any more of your questions answered there?
I hope you are stilling feeling ok! I can't remember exactly when girls usually say they start feeling bad (bloated and such).
Good luck!!
Hey, good luck with the egg retrieval this week!
Post a Comment