Although Brynn is almost four and a half months old and I have yet to get off my lazy butt and write our birth story, I have gotten off my lazy butt enough to write about a subject that has hit close to home for us. Even though I am a nurse anesthetist and have worked in the medical field in some capacity for over a decade now, I wasn't really all that familiar with the phrase "vasa previa" until the delivery and birth of our daughter Brynn. I feel I must look at this subject before I can move forward. Until I face where we have been, I can't begin to move forward with our journey towards adding to our family.
I won't go into too much detail because this would be too long of a post, but on November 7th, 2008 my labor was induced a month and a half early due to a reverse peristalsis that was starting to harm the life of both myself and my unborn daughter. I had lost 25 pounds or so and Brynn was falling farther and farther behind on her growth. An amniocentesis had shown her lungs to be mature so we received the green light go for an induction for a vaginal delivery. Our daughter was conceived via IVF and although I had a complete previa most of my pregnancy - it had now moved. Due to the risk of requiring a classical versus lower transverse incision if a c section was done (necessitating a c section and risk of uterine rupture with future pregnancies) due to my unicornuate uterus - an attempt at a vaginal birth seemed prudent. (Lower uterine segments are often underdeveloped in people with this uterine abnormality, especially when the baby is being delivered prematurely, so a classical c section is more likely than the normal population to be necessary.)
After a standard induction with pitocin, my OB had decided to break my water to get things moving. He had the hook in one hand, and checked my cervix for dilation with the other. Before he could break my water with the hook, my water broke on it's own. This very occurance saved my daughter's life. At the time we were clueless as to what was going to happen. Ignorance was truly bliss. If he had broken my water with the hook (something that is usually completely safe to do), my daughter would likely have died. Soon later, after my epidural was bolused by my coworker, I began to experience sudden relief, but Brynn's heart tones took a dive and stayed low for a few minutes. Before my labor and delivery nurse could tell me what to do, I flipped on my left side and looked for my simple mask that would quickly be thrown on my face to try to remedy the situation. After inserting hundreds of epidurals myself and seeing this happen sometimes, I knew the drill. These two manueuvers helped and Brynn's heart tones recovered. In a matter of minutes I felt the need to have a large bowel movement and I knew I was fully dilated in minutes. My OB rushed in and Brynn's delivery was done in a matter of minutes, three or four pushes and she was out. We were all thankful because during the brief time I was pushing Brynn's heart rate dropped to dangerously low levels. So much that I had a few more pushes and then we would be wisked off for an emergency C-section. All heart rates drop somewhat during deliveries, but Brynn's was very low - something was wrong.
Brynn was being examined by the NICU team and crying vigorously - her Apgar scores were wonderful and she was doing great. She would be examined and monitored by the NICU team, but she was fine..healthy...perfect. No major problems...breathing room air and having scores of 9. Next my OB delivered the placenta...I heard "Oh wow" come from beneath my legs. The room was silent. This is what we saw. Sorry for the graphic photos.

Looking over at Brynn screaming and crying with vigor under the care of the neonatologist, protesting their exam, basically being as healthy as a newborn could be I was silent. I wanted to laugh with joy, I wanted to vomit with fear, I wanted to cry...oh gosh I was shaking. How could this be, how could we be so unlucky again. I pulled the unicornuate uterus odds (1 in 6000) and now this? But quickly I realized I was blessed....how could we be this LUCKY? Things were fine...how could this be? The placenta was wisked off to pathology, with the results coming back a few days later. "Fetal demise". The pathologist said that due to the condition of this placenta, the vessels and the leakage of blood and fluid the results were fetal death. But no...Brynn was fine. Alive and in my arms when I heard the news. I cried. She was my miracle. I held her so close that I was afraid I was smoothering her. I didn't want to let go, even for a second. I had come so close to losing my miracle I had waited 3 years for. Dear God..how could this have happened, or rather... not happened?
Most people may not know what a vasa previa is. Heck most of my coworkers were unaware of what a vasa previa is. Vasa previa is a rare (1:5000), devastating condition in which the fetal blood vessels, unsupported by either the umbilical cord or placental tissue, cross the fetal membranes (bag of water) across the bottom of the uterus between the baby and the cervical opening. The condition has a very high fetal mortality rate (80-100%) due to fetal exsanguination (bleeding) resulting from fetal vessels tearing when the amniotic membranes rupture (your water breaks) or because the vessels become pinched off as they are compressed between the baby and the walls of the birth canal. Basically, the vessels that should be inside the placenta are exposed - kind of like exposed electrical wire. They loop down near the vaginal opening or opening of the cervix. When it is time for the baby to come out the baby has no choice but to break through these vessels leading to their rupture and bleeding. Within minutes both baby and mom can bleed and die. Also, when the water is broken with the hook used by most OBs, the hook is almost certain to rupture these vessels because they stand in the way of breaking the amniotic sac or "the mother's water." That is why had my OB broken my water instead of me spontaneously breaking my water on my own, Brynn would have likely died.
I'm excited to say that I'm becoming involved in the International Vasa Previa Foundation. I have since learned that when screened for, vasa previa is almost 100% detectable and when measures are taken....poor outcomes can be prevented. The problem being is that in this country screening is not routine, covered by insurance often, or even addressed because it is such a rare condition. But the really sad thing is that women who have undergone IVF are some of the people most at risk for whatever reason. So I will continue to talk about whatever happened to us to whoever will listen. I'll talk because it's a situation that can be treated, it's a situation that some of us in the infertility community are at risk for, and it's a situation that need not claim the life of any other babies. Somehow, by some miracle we were spared...but many are not and dear God it's my goal to make sure no mother needs to go through that. So ifyou're not too bored, I'd like to continue to talk about this subject on my blog here...risk factors, what it is and what can be done. I want to and need to talk about it. For Brynn's sake I need to...it's the least she deserves. So thank you for listening....you're the best. Because Brynn every breath you have taken, every smile you have given me is a gift....a gift we might not have had and are certainly not one I will ever take for granted.
If you or anyone else has been touched by this condition I would love to hear your story if you're willing to share. Geohyde (J) thanks for sharing the link to this story. I have seen it but will include it to share for others. More stories are here. My heart aches for those who have not have the same outcome...especially since it is totally preventable.
61 comments:
I'm in tears, Sara. Thank you SO much for sharing this information and the amazing story of Brynn's miracle birth. I hadn't even heard of vasa previa before you mentioned it when she was born.
If it's possible, it makes Brynn's life even more precious, doesn't it?! *hugs*
Sara,
I did not know you had gone through this as well. Wow, you really have beaten all of the odds stacked against you in the fertility world. Brynn is a miracle. I also wanted to respond to your post from early this week about surrogacy. I'm so excited for you! That's so great that you guys have someone who is willing to walk that road with you. You are a very, very, lucky woman.
Mary
I've never heard of this either, so thank you for sharing! As you continue to talk about it, will you answer the questions of how it is detected and how it is 'treated'? And if you don't mind another question... what would have happened if you had a c-section? You were monitored so closely during your pregnancy...how was your situation not detected?
I'll also comment on your post regarding your journey to continue your family - I think it is wonderful that you have other options available to you and wish you only the best of luck!
Your daughter is beautiful - I always enjoy seeing the photos you post.
Tammy
Wow, you and Brynn must have quite the guardian angel watching over you both! I can't even imagine how scary that must have been for you. Good for you for speaking out and increasing awareness. I too would be interested in hearing about the potential screenings for it.
Thank you for sharing the multiple miracles and blessings of Brynn and you and J. Wow, just Wow.
I have never seen a clinical case of VP, know the sad statistics.
Yeah for Brynn pooping btw. Ah, regularity...
Sara,
First, thank you SO much for the sweet words about me on your blog!! I truly feel like we are kindred spirits -- right down to Grant being born on 11/10 -- just a couple days after Brynn. Your kindness really touched me. Thank you!
Your Brynn is such a miracle. Wow. She must have a very special, unique purpose on this Earth.
I admire you so much, Sara. You went through so many challenges during your pregnancy (not to mention the heartache of infertility before) with such courage, grace and determination. What an example you are to all of us!
Hugs,
B
e
Wow. What a story. So glad you are both here to tell, a testament to both science and faith.
:-)
That was her birth story. The good, the bad and the ugly. I can't begin to imagine the fear and happiness that was no doubt all encompassing.
She truly is a miracle. One you already know how blessed you are to have received. Give her an extra squeeze for me today will ya?
That wasn't boring at all! Thanks for sharing...
I've had women with vasa previa before. It is truly amazing when you don't know about it ahead of time, and you see it after the delivery is over. I had one birth where she did have her membranes artificially ruptured - just millimeters from the vasa previa. Luckily, no rupture of the vessels at the birth. I have also had several women who have had planned c/s due to the vasa previa - usually the c/s is done at around 36 weeks, to prevent labor from starting and risking a rupture of the vessels. Very scary stuff. I'm so glad that your Brynn is alive and doing very well!!
WOW....I knew Brynn was a miracle baby but now I know, God has a special plan for that little girl. A big plan. :)
How do you get tested for this and how far along do you wait before being tested?
Thank you so much for sharing your story, Sara.
((HUGS))
I knew what vasa previa was too and when you mentioned that after Brynn was born, my heart plummeted too.
I know just how you feel about luck. I feel the same way about Amelia. An encephalocele isn't a good diagnosis and somehow, somehow, she seems okay.
I'm still terrified.
Give Brynn a smootchie from me, okay? And an extra cuddle.
Praising God for your miracle! Wow. That's such a true testimonial of God's hand in Brynn's life.
~~HUGS~~
Guardian angels, indeed.
Keep talking...I always say, "If I can help one person, it's worth it."
Big ((HUGS)) for you and Brynn.
What a miracle. Amazing.
It's just so amazing how it all worked out given how grave a situation it was. I am looking forward to learning more about this condition.
Look at all the women who didn't know about Vesa Previa before! Thanks to you and your miracle you are spreading the word and it will save someone's life. Good for you!
I've always thought that Brynn has something very special ahead of her in life- she had so many chances not to be. And yet she is.
Miracle baby indeed. :)
thank you for sharing. It's amazing the trials these little babies have to go through, or dodge to be with us today.
I guess you've done the research hon, and you know that the VP was almost certainly related to the initial low implantation of Brynn's placenta- when the placenta 'migrated' (or more accurately appeared to move upwards with uterine growth), the vessels remained running through the membranes.
It's normally considered a freak non-repeatable event, but in your case with a UU, if you had another placenta praevia, you'd probably be at higher risk than average. You can have a transvaginal doppler us scan performed in pregnancy to look for flow over or around the lower margins of the placenta and cervix before deciding on mode of delivery.
But you and Brynn were truly very very lucky. (Try Sarah Chambers.co.uk- I think, email me if the url is wrong, for the story of a woman who sadly lost her son to VP and is now every active about it, too)
xx
J
I have only seen a couple of women with a vasa previa, and they had detected it during the pregnancy and they scheduled a c/s. Very scary. I echo what everyone else has said: Brynn is a miracle and God has plans for that little girl!
Wow I have chills! Your story is just so AMAZING! Brynn really is a miracle. I can't believe how many things had to go exactly right, and without anyone knowing they had to, in order for her to born. God is good!
I think it is great that you are getting involved and want to educate people on Vasa Previa. I would love to hear more about it.
It brought tears to my eyes. What a gift!
I say keep talking. I had never heard of VP either. When you posted briefly in your post after Brynn was born I of course went to go look it up. What I read was that in almost all cases the baby dies and often so does mom. Scary stuff. I'm so very glad you had a much better outcome. Education is key to women receiving better treatment.
My God, Sara. You're both miracles.
She is beautiful and what an amazing story. ~ICLW
Dear Sara,
I am crying here , crying of happiness for you. What a miracle, what a miracle your little girl is. The pic of the 2 of you gave me chills and I thanked God for mommy and baby.
Oh God, reading that story made me feel nauseated with fear. I'm so glad you and Brynn made it through ok.
I didn't have vasa previa, but the C-section surgeon said the blood vessels looked "nasty." Nothing's normal with a UU, is it?
I am in tears! Sara, You are a strong survivor. And Brynn is a very very lucky girl to the watchful eyes of someone greater!
Sara, Brynn's story was miraculous before the vasa previa, but after is astonishing. This was truly a work of God, the universe tipped to bring you your little girl. I have heard of vasa previa on the IVF connections board when I became pg with Nolan. I did look it up and found the same information you did, the death is not neccessary if they know in advance. I also know of someone else that had this not that long ago. Luckily, her dr did know and they did a c-section. So, although maybe rare, you are the 2nd person I've heard of this year. I would recommend anyone who knows someone going through IVF, to look it up and ask the questions, keep asking till you are sure you are not at risk. Keep talking, we are listening. God Bless you and your family!
My God, Sara. I had no idea. Brynn truly is a Miracle in every sense of the word. I know I've said this many times to you, but you are so strong, and I admire your ability to endure all these obstacles and still remain positive. God bless you and your family and give that baby girl a kiss for me.
Wow! I have followed your
blog for a long time and this post gave me chills. I am so glad you and Brynn are ok and she lived and thrived. I had problems with conceiving too and know how it can hurt. I will keep following your blog and am anxious to see what your next step is. Whatever you choose I will pray for a safe and happy outcome. Anne
Such an amazing miracle, Sara. I'm so glad for your beautiful ending. She is just a doll. Huge hugs, hun.
My fathers first wife (a midwife) was pregnant with their first child and washing dishes when she had a contraction, called for my father, passed out and died. Both her and the baby were dead within minutes because her placenta had ruptured.
Brynn is so beautiful and I'm so glad that your story doesn't end like that. I think it's great that your educating other women about it. It seems many people don't realise that women still die after complications during pregnancy.
Thanks for the post...I had never even heard of Vasa Previa before you had it.......and like you I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thankful that little Brynn kicked it in the ass!!! She is truly a little fighter......
I love the pic of you and her together....that is sweet!!!
I had Velamentous Cord Insertion. Had the placenta been lower, it would have been terms Vasa Previa. From what I understand, I had the exact issue, except the placenta was higher up. I knew all about Vasa Previa just from my condition and you are right - it's fucking scary. With such a high fetal demise rate, it's downright terrifying.
When my placental issue was diagnosed, I suddenly had a room full of doctors oo-ing and ahh-ing over it - most of them saying they have NEVER seen it. Except I heard one say "all that baby has to do is lean over and he'll kill himself". Um, hello? The mother is right here you fucking asshole.
28 ultrasounds later, the VCI didn't kill us. Although it almost killed me for sure. At birth, after delivery thank god, it ruptured. Hence me losing 68% of my blood.
Anywho - I'm sure you already knew my story, but it hit close to home for me too. Way too close.
hi, Sara I am visiting from ICLW...No. 103 to say hello and to check out your blog.
what a miracle Brynn's story is .
Thank you for sharing .
My Little Drummer Boys
Wow! Brynn truly is a little miracle and someone is definitely watching out for you up above.
Amazing.
Oh Sarah. I am just speechless reading that. Brynn is truly your miracle and you DESERVED that miracle. Love you :)
Brynn has already survived incredible odds. She truly is a miracle child.
Hi Sara,
Thanks for sharing the story of Brynn's birth. You've mentioned a close call, but wow, that's really amazing. I'm so happy that everything turned out so well.
That's great that you're going to be working to prevent Vasa Previa and educate us.
Good luck with the surrogacy if you decide to pursue it.
Vasa previa is such a scary thing. Thanks for sharing your story with us!
ICLW
You are both miracles Sara, and I'm glad you are here to educate us about VP and to take up the cause for screening.
What an amazing story!!
Sara, she is so lucky and so are you. I am also proud of her getting into the big girl sizes. It is amazing how technology now a a days can help to create/ and keep our little ones alive. Thank you for your story. I never heard of this condition before and I hope not to hear it happen to anyone else. Brynn is just precious and again very lucky.
I have chills.
I guess it just goes to show you, what's meant to be IS.
Sara- thank you so much for posting about this. I have learned so much in this one post. My husband is a physician, and I am going to talk to him about this. I am also scared now! Can't they detect this on u/s or something before the birth???
Thank you for bringing this to all of our attention, and thank GOD for the miraculous outcome you had. WOW. What a story.
A massive congratulations. You are very lucky and very blessed. Oh VP is sooooo scary. I had 10 years of ivf, a bi uterus and pp which turned into VP. After one too many bleeds my obs sent me for a scan at 34 weeks only to discover the VP and deliver my precious daughter 2 hours later. She has just turned 3. Well done and enjoy your precious gift... millie99_au@yahoo.com.au
PS follow on from last post....there is a fabulous website devoted to this condition just google it...most obs have no idea about it and mine had seen it 15 years before where mum and bub both died. So was quick to get my bub out...
If you have it then its imperative you know...and you have an obs willing to abide by recommendations otherwise yes there is a huge likelihood your bubs will die...
Wow. What a miracle baby you have! I've never heard of this condition, and am very thankful for your post. Here from ICLW.
My friend at this blog could've lost her daughter to vasa previa as well:
mcmillanmiracles08.blogspot.com/
I actually appreciate the photos you showed because it helps paint the mental picture better (I'm not squeamish anyway).
What a blessed woman you are! SO glad to hear you had a happy ending.
Hello from ICLW!
What a truly wonderful miracle and I think it is fantastic that you're spreading the word.
Thank you for writing about it, I had never heard about it before!
Regards
VP
I am so touched!!! I knew Brynn was a MIRACLE but WOW Sara!!! God had/has plans for Brynn :) Keep telling your story..were listening!
Sara, I'm also Mommy to a VP miracle. I'm a member of the International Vasa Previa Foundation and if you haven't joined us, we'd love to have you. Thanks for sharing your story and those great pictures of the placenta!
Wow hun, I was wondering when you would go back to this, and I figured it would come when you were ready. Your story is amazing and yes, miraculous....You had me in tears.
Thanks for sharing your story. I had never heard of this either. I look forward to learning how this can be prevented and how one can be screened.
You and Brynn are both miracles!
When I was born ( a repeat scheduled c-section) I was a full 2 pounds smaller than any of my 4 siblings, and my amniotic fluid was green and infected. They said I should be dead too- but obviously I'm not.
When J was born, the midwife wanted to break his water, and I refused every time because it didn't feel right- and found out only afterward that he had stopped moving because of compression on his cord ( a triple nuchal cord that went to a double when he turned after stimulation). The OB told me after my section that breaking my water would have resulted in an emergency section.
Just knowing that most women with babies that stop moving are the mothers of dead babies is enough to send shivers down my spine and wonder why we got to be the lucky ones.
Good for you for speaking out!
Hey Sara. I wanted to thank you for your informative post. I am currently pregnant, and have heard of vasa previa, but was never exactly sure of what it was. Your post really helped clear it up for me, and I truly appreciate it.
Wow, thank heavens your daughter is fine and healthy! That is the single most intense and scary birth story I've ever read.
ICLW
What a miracle! God was truely taking care of you and your daughter! Thanks for sharing your story.
Post a Comment