Kind of crazy last few days. Both some really great and some really not so great news. Good news first is Brynn had her growth scan and is thriving away like a champ. She showed good growth of a couple of more ounces from her previous scan which was only days before. So that is wonderful. Our little girl looks great on the monitor, and passes with flying colors.
Bad news is a complete change of plans in the works, or else rather that the plan seems to change day by day which has me on a bit of an emotional roller coaster I believe. While Brynn's health is thriving, mine is slowly continuing to slip.
I'm currently having problems eating things still and am spilling large amounts of ketones in my urine. These ketones are not due to dehydration or problems with elevated blood sugars that some people have. Basically I am not able to get enough glucose or sugar sources orally without vomiting that my body is breaking down all of my protein from my muscle. If I can't keep jello and water down and my electryoltes get way off - they may likely stay that way even for a tad
bit after Brynn is born. And that doesn't leave me very stable for a C-section if it is needed. Basically in medicine you always try to "optimize" the patient, and get as many problem fixed as possible before surgery or a major even like a birth is coming up. And as long as Brynn looks okay and is thriving, and not in distress....then they will keep her in and can't actively induce labor or do a c-seciton if I don't go into full blown labor on my own. Baby before mom has always been the practice often in medicine if it's not life or death situation. And that is the case here - not the best, but could always be so much worse I keep telling myself. So they are trying to keep me "optimized" right now. If I can't keep jello and water down (I can a bit somewhat today) then they can increase what they give me through this IV or PICC line (peripherally inserted central cathetar) if they need to put one in on the weekend. Basically it's a central line inserted peripherally.
You can see where I am going with this. My IV access has also been a major problem. Normally I am an easy stick - but with everything that has happed recently - even my CRNA and anesthesiologist friends have had some trouble placing the common peripheral IVs patients recieve. They're currently discussing placing a PICC line if need be since I'll need a dedicated line for labor anyways (independant of my current nutrional status). Once this is in they can even give you something called TPN and lipids through the PICC line. This would be the most extreme case and only if my health continues to deteriorate. This is not something I want at
all, but since things may not improve for a few days even after her delivery and because placing me in a good nutritional state also places her in the best nutritional state ...this makes me realize what I need to do. Besides to not is to basically say I would rather make myself extremely ill - and waste away in an anorexic like state. And I know that doesn't make sense either. Plus if it
gets me better in the long run - I have to do whatever it takes I guess.
If you want at little too much info: TPN = total parental nutrition (basically a big old yellow bag of vitamin water and iron) and lipids is a white bottle with fat in it. They run it through an IV - PICC line. Sounds appetizing. I wonder if it comes mexican flavored through the IV - or if I could order a margarita to be mixed in "on the rocks, salted glass?" Maybe I could take my TPN in a key lime ice cream flavor.....hhhhmmmm???? I'm hoping it doesn't come to this. But if it did - I don't think it would be for a few more days. And I may need this whether Brynn is born in 4 days or 10, you know? GI doc thinks the lining of my stomach is all inflamed due to the constant vomiting and may take a bit to calm down. And that the constant vomiting was due to contracitons and the position of the uterus near my bowel and bladder. Things are a bit squished down there I know due to the pregnancy. Plus I have a right pelvic kidney just to cram stuff in more. But with the UU I know I should be happy at least I have two kidneys and not one. They started a new IV med to help with that as well today - so I can only hope? I'm already taking Zofran and Reglan around the clock as well as Bendadryl so hopefully the newly added med with this will help.
Thank you for all of your help with prayers and kind words. They are really appreciated - especially now. They have done wonders for Brynn, and I know that if they can help her....then all of the support helps me as well. I keep thinking that the end is still in sight, I'm trying not to get hung up on details of exact time frames. Just one hour at a time. That is manageable. I just want to be a good mom for our little girl, and all the bumps are worth it. Yesterday I had an extremely down day - but I know I can't stay that way either. So forward we go...and thanks for following along with us as we do so. You are all truly the best! (And Meredith - as always...thank you for your being my constant lifeline and connection to the outside world!)
56 comments:
Amazing. You are SO strong, Sara. I've said it before, and I'll happily say it again...your strength and determination are an inspiration. It's my prayer that Brynn continues to thrive and that your body can began to cooperate and tolerate food. I just wish there was more that I could do! *hugs*
Oh wow, TPN and a PICC. The idea of them sucks, but I guess if you and the kiddo need them....I'd take a PICC over a triple lumen in the jugular any day! I hope the new med kicks in and you can actually get some non-IV nutrition.
Take care of yourself Sara. Still praying.
**HUGS**
I am so sorry. I hope things stabilize soon. You have been doing so great! I am sure that you will continue to do great and everything will be fine.
Sara, you are so brave. You absolutely, positively amaze me. I am thinking of you (and Brynn) lots.
You are going through so much! What an amazing mom you are! I am glad Brynn is doing well. Keep taking care of yourself. It will be over soon and I know you know it will be all worth it. ((HUGS))
Sara babe - you are my HERO!!!! You can do it! You are handling this all like a champ and you are soooooo strong! You are a great mom already! Hang in there and know that I am praying for you all the time!
Big ((Hugs))I hope you can feel all the love and support coming your way. Whew, one step at a time, glad you have options even though they are not ideal. You both are in the best hands and Brynn is blessed with your love and determination.
You are a wonderful Mommy, never forget.
I'm thinking and praying for you always Sara and think you are amazingly strong. Take care of yourself.
Sara,
Just wanted to add that I'm praying for you and Brynn.
You've both have a challenging time, but have somehow made the best of each trying condition.
So glad to hear that Brynn is continuing to gain some weight.
Tremendously sorry to hear about your health though.
Praying for the best, and I agree taking it hour by hour is perhaps the best approach.
May you be blessed with some comfort as you await the arrival of your dear daughter.
Good health and best wishes
Anna.
I hope you're doing ok....and I hope it doesn't come down to the TPN and I wish you didn't need a picc b/c i know what a witch they are.
Stay strong!
Yikes. so many issues to manage! It's so good you've made ti this far. Just remember: if mama ain't healthy, aint nobody healthy.
I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Sarah
I will be praying for you and Brynn! I so hope your health improves very, very soon! ((HUGS))
It is just not fair that you don't get to enjoy the over eating we tend to do when pg. Hey you are making me so nervous I am over eating for you. LOL Won't be long and this will be over. My Brianne has started spitting at us when she gets mad (female hormones!!!) so I am secretly snickering that it won't be long and you can enjoy all this also. Praying for you, your husband, and Brynn
My prayer is that you both thrive, even if it means TPN and Lipids. I am so glad to hear she is still growing. I had kind of been wondering in the back of my mind if TPN was going to be the next step for you since you had been reporting the N/V. Hugs to you, Brynn and hubby.
My best friend spent the weeks 15-32 in and out of the hospital and at home on bed rest with a PICC line due to severe hyperemesis gravidarum. I absolutely hate that you are having to go through all of that right now, but of course I am THRILLED to hear that despite all of that, Brynn is thriving and is happy. You are already a wonderful mother to your precious little girl. I love you both.
Wow. You are really being put through it. It's kind of surprising to me that they are letting your health descend so far without delivering. I guess they know what they're doing though? It just sounds scary. There is nothing more you could give your Brynn. You've gotten her to the point where she would be healthy outside the womb. You've been so incredibly focused and positive this whole time. I just wish you could get a break!
I'm praying for you and Brynn! I hope things improve quickly!
You're such a trooper Sara. We're continuing to think of you and pray for you! Hang in there!
What strong girls you both are! Keep it up!! Always in my thoughts!!
I did not realise your nausea was so bad you were in TPN territory.
My hat is off to you, my dear.
I won't say 'not long now' because I would have hit any idiot that said it cheerily to me at the same gestation as you :)
J
Nothing but admiration for you Sara. You are on a difficult journey and I am wishing you strength and courage for each hour. Take care.
Oh, Sara. You have been through SO much! You are such a trooper and Brynn is so blessed to have you as her mom.
I can't imagine the range of emotions you feel from hour to hour, but want you to know that I think of you all the time and am so proud of you! Just think, in a very short time, you will be holding your precious child and you will be able to come and go as you used to.
Your story is such a miracle and I am constantly amazed at your wonderful attitude and Brynn's resilience.
I continue to root for you! Hang in there sweet friend!
Hugs from your UU friend,
Becca
Wow you are AWESOME Sara!! Hang in there I am praying like crazy for you guys!!
Oh Sara! I'm so sorry things are just so incredibly hard for you right now. But you are such a CHAMP! The fact that you always put Brynn first just shows what an amazing mother you already are. But definitely don't forget about yourself! Brynn needs you to be in good health too! So hopefully the doctors can get you both in better shape phsyically before Brynn makes her grand entrance! I will be praying!
oh sara, i am so totally sorry i have not been here to help you! i am amazed at all u have been through, and will give u a big ol' hug when i see u. and love to brynn. that was always my favorite name.
Hang in there Sara. I'm cheering you on too!
Sorry it has been such a long haul for you. Feel better. Rest.
Sarah
Sara, you are by far one of the most amazing women I have ever "met". Seriously, amazing. Brynn is so lucky to have a mama that is willing to go through hell and back literally to get her here in the best possible state.
All of this and you are still offering to kick the asses of some of my co-workers. The thought of you so sick and pregnant and on bed-rest, but still wanting to do this made me smile in a big way. (:
Hang in there, Sara. We are all cheering you on. I think of you and Brynn everyday. Much love and many hugs.
Hang in there...you are doing FABULOUS.....it must be terribly difficult.
Positives......PICC much better than FMT. Right? Not that it makes it any easier BUT...you think your gagging now.....UGH!!!
You are the most awesomest mommy......I do know that awesomest is not a word BUT.....well......you are just the most awesomest.....sam
OOPS........
Grow Spot Grow
Man, I wish I was local so I could come and visit and entertain you with my boot of doom.
Hang in there, sweetie. You're doing such a good job.
Wow. I hope that things even out and stabilize soon. I also hope you don't need the PICC or TPN but if you do I hope it's short and you'll soon be doing much better. Thinking of you and Brynn.
You are a brave woman my friend!!!!!!!!! I hope you and your sweet baby are doing well. HUGSSSSSSS
Just wanted to let you know I'm still here and keeping an eye on you. I just don't always have the hands to type a comment.
You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Sara!!!! I can't imagine what you're going through but you're just such a strong strong woman!!! I mean, even if you think you don't feel so right now, I have to tell you that YOU.TRULY.ARE. I was just telling babes about you and how I wish I had half the strength as you have!
I've been praying for you for the longest time, that you will see the light at the end of the tunnel and that both you and Brynn will be just fine.
Though I may be on the other side of the world, just know that I'm here for you..thinking of you everyday, dropping lots of emergency fedexes to God and telling him to keep both of you safe.
((((((((hugs))))))))
ps I sent you an email this week, I think. It's ok..you can reply it whenever you can, ok?
((((hugs)))
Thinking of you and Brynn...
Big {{HUGS}}
Sara, you are such a strong woman - I can't even put into words how much I admire you. I'll be praying for your health and strength and hope things get better for you.
Oh hon *big hugs*. You've been through so much and you're doing so amazing! I have been and will continue to send you and your family lots of prayers.
Hugs,
-D
Ah, you are such a rock star. What an amazing mom Brynn has. Thinking of you both!!
I hope this post finds you and Brynn doing well. You are both in my thoughts a lot lately.
Hang in there....
Wow, you really are going through a lot! I hope you guys make a decision that you are all comfortable with. If you could at least get a line, maybe you could get some D5 1/2NS or some PPN. Maybe it would at least be enough to stop you from making all those ketones!
To be strictly medical for a moment, I have to admit that I don't really understand the cause of your intractable nausea and vomiting? Is it just due to the magnesium, etc? I seem to recall that you were having the issue at home, too. Anyway, just curious whether your docs have come up with an explanation.
Best of luck to you and your hubby and Brynn!!
Thinking of you. Hope you don't end up needing TPN.
(ICLW)
Thanks so much for your very kind support on my blog. I have so little to complain about compared to you, truly. I know I know it is all relative but sheesh you have been through it. Your strength is so inspiring.
I wish you peace and jello and water and an end to the vomiting.
Much love.
Lots of good thoughts coming your way.
ICLW
Thanks for updating, Sara. I love how detailed you are in your updates...it helps me to know exactly how to pray for you and Brynn.
I'm sure you're tired and just ready for something to be easy for once. Just know that so many people are praying for you and that you are almost there...you've come SO FAR. :)
((HUGS))
Hang in there Sara!!!!!
Thinking of you and Brynn. YOU matter in all this too you know!
Thinking of you.
I can't even imagine what you're going through. I really hope they can get you both where you need to be at the same time and soon. So that you can talk of this as a battle in the past and take your baby girl home to love. Much love and lots and lots of luck flying your way!!
Sara, whatever you have to do, remember it will be only for a short time. You may feel miserable and such, but you are strong and no matter what should be proud of how far you've gotten! I hope you have a comfortable week! You are in my thoughts!
I am wishing you both strength and well wishes. I'd tell you to be strong, but you already are!
Lots and lots of hugs!
Your strength and positive attitude has brought tears to my eyes. Someday, your little girl will read this and she'll realize what her mommy did to get her here safe and sound.
It will all be over soon and you'll have your sweet little baby girl in your arms. Hang in there.
Here's hoping you get a quesadilla and margarita flavored TPN thingy.
God bless you and Brynn. *Hugs*
Sara you are already a wonderful Mom to Brynn. Any decision you make I know will be the best one! I continue to pray for your family and I hope that youre able to hold down some water and jello. I wish you all the best. Hang in there :)
Thinking of you and Brynn constantly. I hope you get some good nutrition and get strong enough for your c-section very soon.
It's too bad your pup can't be with you in the hospital. I bet she'd be a big help. :)
Oh my goodness! You're strength is amazing through all of this: Just so matter-of-fact. I'm hoping that things turn out great, and you and Brynn are both healthy.
Good luck!
ICLW
That's a lot of info so thanks for explaining it for us non-medical professional types. I am continually amazed by your ability to be calm through all of this.
It's seem to me that "Mexican" flavored would burn. How about Italian?
Sara, it is amazing what we will do for our little ones, huh? You certainly are doing above and beyond what the average mommy has to do to keep their little one safe in utero. I know that Brynn will be so proud of her mother when she is old enough to know how you kept her safe. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment