
Well, it's Christmas Eve and the middle of the night. Brynn is sitting here with me wide awake and has the hiccups. I have to smile because she has always been a hiccuper. And like so many times over the last few months - it's the middle of the night and it is just the two of us - partners in crime. So many times over the last few months I have glanced at the clock to see the time 2 or 3AM glaring back at me and I am by myself which would normally make a person feel pretty darn lonely. But over those last few months, I was not alone - I've had Brynn with me...Brynn and her hiccups. They have actually come to be a strange source of comfort for me during those early waking hours. The first time I heard them was when I was 27 weeks pregnant with her and I was admitted for my membranes buldging and contracting every few minutes and was placed on icky Mag Sulfate. I was so scared that she was going to come that first night and possibly be so sick. I was afraid she was going to have so much uphill battle ahead of her and I felt so sick from being on such a high dose of Mag to try to get my contractions to stop. And worse of all I felt really alone at 3AM since everyone else was sleeping. But then I heard Brynn hiccup on the fetal heart rate monitor and it made me smile because I realized that I wasn't going through this alone - we were in this together. It actually kind of lulled me to sleep for the first time in two days.

It was knowing that Brynn and I always had each other through any up or down moment that made getting through all the bumps possible. As long as I had my little girl with me things never seemed so bad or so scary. Even when I had that silly reverse peristalsis at the end and couldn't eat anything for weeks - hearing her little hiccups during those lonely nights in the hospital even took hunger pangs away, as strange as that sounds. And when it finally came time for me to meet my little partner face to face during the delivery - I discovered how close we came to losing her due to the vasa previa. That moment forever changed the way I will look at her. I wonder if Brynn will ever realize how much she has done for me when I needed her the most - my only wish is that I can one day do as much for her as she has already done for me. Last time this year was so different - the thought of having a daughter of my own seemed so far away after all of our IUIs continued to fail. So this year - I am so very blessed to be sitting here at 3AM with my little hiccuping miracle. I love you little girl. You are the answer to any Christmas wish or prayer I've ever had. Thank you for answering my prayers.

(And yes - Neela is happy to have you here as well - even if she does try to steal your clean diapers and run around the house with them as I change you...and even though she has to share our favorite pillow with you!)
30 comments:
Our Christmas Day is over and yours is just beginning. Have a lovely day together with your beautiful girl. It has been a long and rocky road. Celebrate your hearts out!
Brynn is a miracle in more ways than one- enjoy your your little gift this year!
What a beautiful post Sara. Brynn is indeed a sweet little miracle...with the most kissable lips....man is she adorable!!! Have a Merry day and thanks for sharing......sam
What great pictures and what a beautiful post. Brynn is so cute and Neela looks adorable in her christmas collar.
What a precious day with a gorgeous miracle girl. They way she looks at you melts my heart.
Celebrate, Celebrate, Celebrate! You are each others Christmas Miracles. You were so strong for little Brynn, and she for you. Your post is beautiful, tears in my eyes. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Merry Christmas, dear Sara, Brynn, and J, what a gift your love and devotion is to all of us.
God Bless you, partners in Crime.
i was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago (i'm in and out...no more than a three day stint at any time) and mary margaret got the hiccups. they were so loud on the monitor i could barely hear the tv.
it was/is a very special time between a mom and a baby. it makes me feel very connected to her and i can't wait to meet her in a few weeks.
I am so glad you have your miracle this Christmas! She is just so beautiful! and Neela is one of the cutest dogs I have ever seen (besides mine of course ;))
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all of you. I am so pleased that you are all together.
Oh Sara that was so sweet!! You partner in crime has always been with you in good times and the scary!! Brynn you are such a sweey miraclr for Mommy and Daddy!! Neela too!!
what great pictures! (I thought that dog was stuffed at first! She looks soooo perfect!)
Merry Chistmas!
She is truly such a miracle with all that you have both been through. You both have been through so much and deserve all the happiness in the world!
Did you end up with a c-section? I don't recall reading what you ended up with.
I am so happy for you. She is just precious!
That's sweet.
My second used to hiccup in my belly all the time and she was a huge hiccupers as a newborn too. :)
sob.
Merry xmas Sara and Brynn!!! You are both lucky to have each other!
I agree that healthy happy babies are the best Xmas gift.
She is just a little doll, Sara. So glad you are all able to just enjoy one another now. It has been a long road.
Brynn's just gorgeous and both of you have been through so much. The picture of Brynn in your arms had me going, AWWWW...
*hugs*
ps Neela's such a superstar too!
Miracle baby is right! Hope your family had a wonderful Christmas. I love Neela's bling-bling. Very flattering with her white fur. Oh yeah, and Brynn is just *kinda-sorta* cute too! :) *hugs*
I loved this post, Sara. You two are going to have the most special relationship.
((HUGS))
this is the sweetest story! i love it!
This post made me cry. (31 weeks pregnant hormones much, eh?)
I am so glad at how amazingly everything worked out and I cling to your courage and faith on days when I have little of my own. I am so thankful for your spirit and for the amazing gift you have given ME.
Praise God for your perfect little baby Brynn and the precious moments you share with her every day.
*hugs*
That little pixie of yours is the best of all those holiday presents. I'm sitting here with tears of joy streaming down my face for you! I hope that your first Christmas as a mom was all that you ever dreamed it would be and more!
You always make me CRY! I am so proud of you and your little girl!! Hope you had the best Christmas ever!
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your baby girl!
I was going back through some of your older posts to refresh my memory of your journey in 2008. Look how far you've come!! :)
I just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year, girl.
((HUGS & LOVE))
What a little cutie she is... I'm sure this was your most special Christmas ever!!!
She's getting big Sara. It brought a tear to my eye to see the way you are both looking at each other so intently in that first pic. I am so happy for you all.
so sweet. how do you have time to blog? I want to have like 5 posts to make and have NO time!!! She's more beautiful everytime I see her by the way!
Post a Comment