Thank you for all of the very sweet comments about my last post where I mentioned my godmother. I do feel very blessed to have had her in my life for the short time we had together. I feel like I've had some great examples of amazing women in my life whether it be my grandmother (whom I mentioned here), or my godmother, or my own mother. My godmother first was diagnosed with skin cancer which later spread to become breast and bone cancer as time went. Prior to her diagnosis of skin cancer - I was an avid sun worshiper, but cut back a bit after her seeing her experience. By my second year of college I noticed I had a few suspicious looking large freckles or moles on my back. Of course because I was a nursing student I was sure I was just being a worrywart and we had just had our lecture on the "ABCDs" of irregular skin growths to boot. Regardless, I paid a visit to my dermatologist who had helped me with the typical acne crisis most high school students face at one point or another. After glancing at my back, she wanted to biopsy two of those "suspicious freckles" as I had called them, and sure enough - they came back as malignant melanoma. A couple of visits later, as well as removal of more margins from those two sites as well as a third mole - my dermatologist felt that she had gotten all of the melanoma areas. I was 19 at the time - and to date I have never had any problems with it since. Thankfully melanomas like these are pretty much 100% curable when caught early, and I honestly think I only went to the doctor when I did because I had seen someone whose melanoma was not caught early and the devastating results.
The other day my husband and I caught ourselves cracking up while I was trying to take a shower in my hospital room. Rather than being mounted on the wall, the shower heads are the hand held type, and don't really mount well on the wall in any type of holder like some hand helds do. So with the IV and being tall, and pregnant and clumsy - it's a little challenging to wash your hair without soaking everything in sight. Drumroll please - husband to the rescue. He can hold the handheld showerhead when I get to that point in the shower when I want to do my hair and he is kind of like a human wall mount for the water spout. The shower usually ends with him being wetter than my hair, but he doesn't complain (too much, LOL!).
What we were laughing about was how similar this moment was to when we were both back in college during that story I just described. After I had the melanoma removed off of my back in college I had to keep the suture sites dry which were located right in the middle of my back. In a college dorm room while trying to wash your hair - you could see how this would be a challenge. Once again - husband to the rescue. Even when I was 19, my husband was a good old sport and helped me do something as silly as wash my hair over the sink in my dorm room while we were dating. I should have known then he was a keeper. True, I had to move my sweetmate's beer bong out of the sink first - but I still think of that moment with a smile. (We later used that very beer bong while on spring break - but that is a blog entry for another day LOL! Don't worry - I had very few bonging days - I wasn't a big fan and I much prefer my margaritas or martinis nowadays anyways, hehe!) Since then we've been through all of our ups and downs together and I'm glad he still is willing to be my "shower helper." Poor guy - most guys in their college years to early 30s think that when their wife asks them to "come join me in the shower" that they are in for a treat. Mine knows I usually mean something else by now!
Thanks for letting me regress. Right now, I have the no news is good news thing going on. I have no exciting updates for you - which I'm so happy about. Still on the procardia, still bedresting, baby still breech marching forward towards another week. Still having NSTs. My OB did the sweetest thing on Wednesday. The other day when we were talking, we both mentioned how much we love fall and all that goes with it. He felt bad that I couldn't be out enjoying some of the great cider mills or pumpkin patches we have nearby or apple orchards that are easy to find here in the midwest. So during part of the day when I am put back on the monitor for awhile and have my NST portions of the day - he ducked into my room with a cup of yummy warm apple cider (type or make he said was fine) and some pumpkin bread with cream cheese that his wife had made and we just chatted for awhile. I swear it was the best NST ever - much better than the few stressful moments I've had on other monitoring times when Brynn pulled her little decels. Pumpkin bread is one of my favorites - I even like it better than the brown sugar donuts most people prefer this time of year. My OB really helped put me at ease which I thought was very nice.
So that's what is new for now - I'm looking forward to a very boring weekend. Now if only the stock market would go back to being boring as well! I hope everyone has a great weekend too, and thank you so much for being such a big part of me feeling like I have some stability and calm right now.

36 comments:
So glad to hear that things are just trucking along safely! And what a sweet gesture for your OB
I love this time of year too. Just the mention of pumpkin bread is driving me crazy. My recipe makes enough to feed an army, so I think I'll make some this weekend and bring it to the nurses when I go into labor. Thanks for the idea!
Wishing you a boring weekend and give Brynn a rub on the hiney for me. ;)
Wow the melanoma thing is so scary. I have a cousin whose had a couple removed.
So glad to hear about no news. Your husband sounds like such a sweet guy to help with showers etc. Your OB sounds like a pretty great guy too. So nice to bring you apple cider and pumpkin bread. I love pumpkin bread too. Hope your weekend goes great.
Glad to hear Brynn continues to do well. Thanks for the stories, as well as the melanoma info. Definitely makes one want to ensure they are protected in the sun!
I have never been happier for a friend having a BORING week!! Yay Sara and Brynn!!!! I was laughing at your shower stories because Steven often helps me in the shower and it is never a dry event for him. I think God blessed us with these men because He knew He was going to use us to inspire others. We are very blessed! If you get a chance, watch Baby Mama...yet another deformed uterus, like us!!
Yay for nothing to report. I must expereince a brown sugar donut. Oh lordy that sounds devine.
Thanks for the update! I think of you and Brynn every day.
I'm so happy two of my favorite girls are just being good as gold and Boring. Yeah for Great News and More Boring. I loved your last post about your sweet godmother, but I did take issue with your quote, "I know I will never be half the mom she was-". Sara, I beg to differ, No One, Absolutely NO ONE including this sweet woman could be a better mother to Brynn than You! Okie dokie, are we clear here? Good, okay, now really cute beer bong and shower stories, ah college days. Your DH is going to be a wonderful Daddy too. I also am a Skin cancer survivor, (BCCA at 28 y/o with Mohs surgery) and an EX Sun worshipper, former lifeguard. I'm an expert in Sunblock, I kid you not. I'm so delighted that your OB brought a little "slice of fall" to you. My favorite season too which yes we do have in Southern California. ((Hugs))
What a wonderful doc you have---that is so sweet! Very glad it was another uneventful week for you and Brynn
Now I want pumpkin bread...
And I am thrilled to hear that everything is going well and because I am a loser and have yet to comment, I love the look of the site...
Have you tried strawberry bread? It is the most delicious thing ever!
And seriously, how does more than one person fit into the shower for that stuff? My husband would know I needed something else because there is no way we'd both fit into our shower and still be able to move. :)
Aww. Your husband is sweet! And what a nice doc! You are in good hands all around :-)
31 weeks...look at that! You've come so far! Yes, your husband sounds very sweet! And what a nice OB! Pumpkin bread sounds super good!
I'm sorry (and somewhat embarassed to admit) that I thought you were going somewhere else with that shower head story...now that my mind has made that 12 foot jump back out of the gutter...
I like the new look, very pretty, prissy and frilly. Just like you you martini drinkin wannabe (lol). I will have one in your honor tonight if you promise to behave yourself (Brynn too).
All Great News, your husband sure is a keeper!!
Your husband sounds like my Daver. Who even offered (while very pregnant with Alex) to take care of some shaving I couldn't do. If you know what I mean.
I can laugh at the shower post, because after having the twins I had to have Cody shower me because of how weak I was from surgery. He, too, ended up much wetter then I did and never complained.
Does this mean when they get old we have to return the favor? LOL!
Your doctor sounds like such a great guy! What a nice treat he brought you!
I too am from the midwest, and we just went to a orchard/pumkin patch this last week. I was so sad I couldn't have cider-I love it! But I have made lots of apple pies since, it seems to be one of the things I am craving!! Glad to hear that things are going well.
A super sweet husband and rockin' OB...that just rocks!
Hooray for no news!
What a sweetheart of an OB you have there!!
How scary about the moles. I am extremely speckled with some rather large moles on my back that I really haven't had checked in awhile. My brother also had some malignant ones removed a few years ago so you have inspired me to get mine checked again. Thanks.
LOL at your shower adventures with your DH. Too cute. I'm glad that things are uneventful for you right now and hope it continues until it is the right time for Brynn's grand entrance.
You are sooo blessed to have such great people in your life!! It makes me sit back and think of those people in my own and sad that everyone doesnt have such great relationships, people, support! Thanks for your uplifting stories of gifts from beyond, caring husbands and thoughtful medical staff!
I feel so happy for you when I read your updates. Your hubby sounds like a great guy! May you have a quiet weekend!
Just checking on you...so glad you're hanging in there!!!
What an awesome OB! That's the way healthcare should be. :)
I had to laugh when you described the shower scene! I had a similar situation when I broke my ankle, had surgery and couldn't get the soft cast or the stitches wet. I think I actually had water running under/out the door to the hospital shower room. DH to the rescue! They had NO idea what they were signing-up for with us, did they?!
Thanks so much for the update. Glad mommy, daddy and Brynn are all happy, healthy and clean now too! *hugs*
I just realized...our mis-shaped uteruses are kinda kicking ass. I mean, we have held babies past 30 weeks...which from my research is pretty much miraculous!!!!!! We rock!
no news is wonderful news!!
No news IS good news! And can I just say that your OB deserves an award for what he did? What an awesome doctor. Glad you're doing well.
HEY SARA! I JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS/SUPPORT. YOU HAVE ENOUGH ON YOUR PLATE AND THE FACT YOU TAKE TIME TO GIVE ME SUPPORT REALLY MEANS A LOT.
YOU'RE DOING GREAT!! STAY IN BRYNN.
Thanks for coming by and for your supportive comments. No matter what happens I am grateful. BTW, you have an awesome OB.
A beer bong? What the freak is a beer bong? I think I have an idea, knowing what the usual concept of "bong" is. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while!
That husband of yours - he's good people. I think you two are one of the sweetest couples. Brynn's a very lucky girl!
Please remind me what a beer bong is. I know the old funnel but bong? Glad to come back from the beach to see a good post. Boring is nice. Now could you hurry up and be 40 weeks so we can see Brynn.
So glad to hear that all is still going well. Sounds like you have a wonderful ob! I also love fall!
How sweet of your OB! Cider and pumpkin bread sound yummy. I'm going to look for a recipe and make some. I'm glad that things are calm for now.
Hooray for stability and calm! So wonderful to see you at 32 weeks now and Brynn is doing great! I love to check your blog and see that she is still getting the chance to grow inside you, despite all the rigamarole you have to endure. Your husband sounds like such a sweetie, washing your hair for you. I hope you have a great week!
I am so glad to read "no news" from you. Brynn is such a smart baby, staying exactly where she should be. You have a genius on your hands already, Sara!
*hugs*
HAPPY 32 WEEKS!!!!!!!!! Un friggin believable!!!!! Way to go....Grow Spot Grow.....sam
Post a Comment