Thursday, November 27, 2008

A different sort of Thanksgiving

I just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for keeping Brynn in your thoughts. I'm a big believer in the power of people pulling together good thoughts and good results occurring...so thank you. You are simply the best and I truly mean that. Brynn is pretty stable for moment. Her bilirubin is still high, but could be much higher - so I'm not too concerned with that, it'll improve with time. Her liver function tests show that her liver enzymes are elevated three times as high as they should be so that is a bit more concerning. They'll be repeated over the next couple of days. Also, despite eating well, her weight is a major issue. We're hoping for some good news and a good weight gain by tomorrow when it's checked. Otherwise, they may have to do something more invasive to help Brynn get over the hump. I'm praying that she is a plump little turkey by tomorrow! Please continue to keep her in your thoughts if you get a chance.

This Thanksgiving was so different than how we have spent them in the past. Usually we spend part of the day with my family including grandparents, parents, siblings, niece and nephews at my mom and dad's. Then we travel to Ohio and spend the rest of the day with my husband's family. Instead we spent the day hovering over Brynn the two of us watching her sleep and trying to get her to feed while chatting with her pediatrician earlier in the day. Instead of turkey and homemade feasts made by both families we ate from one of the only restaurants that was actually open for carryout on the holiday. My husband and I grabbed food from National Coney Island - a Detroit favorite and devoured some classics like a chicken hani (mine plain minus my favorite sauce due to my silly fussy stomach, LOL!) greek salad and my husband had his coney dog.


But despite the Thanksgiving being so different than those of the past - I think I spent the day more realizing what it was all about more than I had in any year past. Around lunchtime it hit me like a brick wall how fortunate we have been this year. My husband and I had so much to be thankful for. I am one of the luckiest girls around to be where we are today. Despite some bumps, my pregnancy went so much better than pregnancies go for many people. I have been blessed. Brynn is the reason that I am thankful today. I'm thankful that she has taught me what it is to love to a level I didn't know was possible until recently. And I'm thankful that she has taught me to have a little faith that things really do happen for a reason, even if we don't know what they are.

So although my Thanksgiving didn't involve family dinners, or turkey and stuffing...it was simply the best Thanksgiving I've ever had. And I will not forget the road we've traveled recently and all the blessings along the way.

32 comments:

Cibele said...

On ho Sarah, I did not know you guys went back to the hospital. Lyla had some issues putting on weight on her first 2 weeks as well and now she is a big girl. I am sure that the same will be true with your little girl. I hope you guys can go home soon. HUGS

Anonymous said...

I missed your previous post but I just wanted to let you know I'm keeping Brynn in my thoughts and prayers and hope she is soon back on track and gaining weight like the little champion she clearly is.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I've been thinking about you guys all day. I'm glad that Brynn is stable and I hope she keeps getting better.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I know two full grown adults who had bili issues--and they didn't have good modern medicine on their side! I'm pulling for you !

Jesus, My Best Friend said...

i just realized that she is in the hospital. definitely Praying for a speedy recovery and a trip home for good. she is so precious. i was talking about her pictures and how she looks like a little baby doll yesterday to my mom. she thought it was so cute that she's rolling over. Praying for you all! and thanks for being such a sweet blog friend to me!

Lost in Space said...

I've been thinking of you all so much today and am glad to hear Brynn is stable. Your attitude (as always) is amazing and can only help to get Brynn home again very quickly. Many hugs to you, Sara.

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

I'm still sitting here praying for you and Brynn and hubby. Here's hoping that things turn around!

..al said...

Prayers and good thoughts!

admin said...

Hi sweetheart. I was thinking about you all day yesterday, wondering how little B was doing. We just need to get that girl to plump up. She's taking after her mama already!!!

I am sorry your family had to spend the day in the hospital, but it looks like you made the best of it. Keep us posted.

Thinking about you.
xo
m

Lisa said...

Continuing to keep Brynn in my thoughts and prayers!! Here is to hoping that her blood tests go well and that things start to improve.

jenn said...

I'm sorry you had to spend Thanksgiving in the hospital, but glad that Brynn is stabilizing. I hope she plumps up for you & gets over this little setback quickly!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Thanks for the update!! Will keep praying. I love this post about being thankful. It is so true. Helps put things into perspective for me, and I really needed that.
***HUGS**

battynurse said...

Sorry you spent thanksgiving in the hospital but glad it was a thankful day. I hope Brynn continues to improve and do well and gain lots of weight. Thinking of you all.

Jill said...

Thank you for the update...it allows me to know just how to pray for you guys. I'm all about praying specifically. :)

I'm glad you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving despite the fact that it was spent in the hospital.

((HUGS))

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Thank you for sharing your love and joy at becoming a Mom to your precious Brynn. I will hope and pray her LFTs normalize soon and Eat, Miss Brynn, Eat!! Big ((Hugs)) coming your way.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Brynn will pull through like always! As always, we are rooting for you and your little girl!

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you and for your sweet baby.

Erin said...

Here from ICLW. Thinking of you and your family. Hoping that Brynn gains lots of weight!

Stacie said...

Keeping Brynn in my thoughts. Here's to weight gain and lowered bilirubin and liver enzyme levels.

Happy belated Thanksgiving. You have much to be thankful for now!!!

ICLW

Cara said...

Oh Sara - that kind of constant worry is tough. Of course, your heart still lights up every time you look at her - so that counteracts the worry. I am also a firm beliver in the power of good thoughts...so lets keep going. Brynn still needs us!!

Anonymous said...

She is just so beautiful. I hope she is feeling much better and gaining some weight very soon.

Best,
Sarah

Carrie27 said...

Oh no, poor little Brynn and mommy and daddy. Just when you think you can relax, the baby throws you for a loop.

I remember having the twins back in the hospital for almost a week and it is very nervewracking.

I hope you guys hear nothing but good news and can leave that hospital for a very long time.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry your having to deal with this. I'll pray for your daughter. Glad you were able to at least be thankful on Thanksgiving.

ICLW

Kristin said...

Keeping Brynn in my thoughts and prayers. She is a beautiful little girl.

ICLW

Anonymous said...

Boy have I fallen behind on my blog reading !

Special congratulations! What a wonderful baby girl!!

Welcome !

JW Moxie said...

I'm keeping you and Brynn in my thoughts and prayers. She is such a precious little cutie and such a fighter! She definitely got that from you! I can't wait to hear your update. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you and yours.

PS - "Brynn is wireless" - your husband is too much!

PSS - there's some blog bling for you over at my place!

AwkwardMoments said...

you are making me cry. Brynn there are lots and lots of prayers coming to you and your family

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that Brynn is stable at the moment. Praying that her condition will only improve.
Yes, we all have lots to be thankful for.
I'm thankful your little girl is such an amazing trooper. I'm thankful that you had just the greatest attitude through such a trying & difficult pregnancy--no wonder Brynn's rolling over already [Really, this just blows me away!!! :o) ]
She's as strong and tenacious, just like her mama.

Keeping you all, and especially sweet and precious Brynn in my thoughts and prayers.

God's many Blessings,

Anna

Kim said...

I'm so sorry to hear that little Brynn is back in the hospital! Our little Bean battled high-ish bili levels that wouldn't stay down (ABO incompatibility - Rh was fine actually). Then she had some breathing issues that sent us back. It was a roller coaster, but now she is happy, healthy, thriving and I can't believe she was that same kid.

That Thanksgiving meal looked delicious by the way!

Chastity said...

I'm sorry to hear all of this is still going on; hopefully you'll get good news tomorrow for the weight check!!

Anonymous said...

Sara--I'm really hoping taht no news is good news, and that you are so busy with mothing that you haven't had a chance to post. Worried!

nancy said...

~!hugs!~

Always thinking of you and Brynn!