(cartoon from babygaga.com)Happy hump day to all! In middle school whenever we would hear that phrase all the girls would burst into giggles. I have a secret confession to make - I still giggle like a 10 year old girl when I hear it sometime, or at least break out in a smile!
Well Spot is doing some more growing and activity during his or her 18th week:
* The fetus is now 6 inches long and weighs 7 ounces.
* They can hear sounds and may be startled by loud noises.
* Recognizable active and rest periods.
* The skin is building a protective wax layer (vernix)
Vernix (a white cheese like protective material) forms on baby's skin with the lanugo, a soft lightly pigmented hair covering the body and limbs, both help to protect your baby's skin during the months in water. This is a big week for their baby skin. There are now two distinct layers—the epidermis (or the surface skin) and dermis. Currently, their skin is covered Your baby may hear your heart beating, your stomach rumbling or blood moving through the umbilical cord. He or she may even be startled by loud noises.
Tiny air sacs called alveoli begin to form in lungs and the vocal chords are formed. Baby goes through the motions of crying but without air doesn't make a sound; yet.
Your baby may have the same awake and sleep patterns of a newborn. Baby will have a favorite position for sleep and recognizable active and rest periods.
Fun fact for momma’s with baby girls: it’s a uterus within a uterus! Your little girl will have developed a uterus and vagina canal by the end of this week.
Your baby measures about 6 inches (15cm) crown to rump and weighs about 7 ounces (200gm).
I had to giggle (again!) when I read about Spot being startled by loud noises - I wonder if my evening gas sessions count? It's crazy that Spot practices crying and has a favorite sleep position. I wonder if Spot will take after my husband who is a stomach sleeper or me who likes to sleep on her back. (I miss sleeping on my back the last few weeks - the whole side thing just isn't the same.)
As far as the changes that occur in the mom side of things this weeks are:
And how's mom doing? POP! If you haven’t yet, you will soon be seeing the last of your inn-y belly button—until after you’ve pushed your little monkey out. If it’s getting difficult to breathe, you can thank your not-so-small belly for squishing your lungs—which will be more and more cramped for space as the pregnancy progresses. Not that this is surprising as everything else in your mid-section is getting properly squooshed as well. Keep in mind that as you grow (and grow and grow) in size you produce more blood (for both of you), which lowers your blood pressure. So standing up quickly and/or occasional fast movements may cause slight dizziness or lightheadedness. This is totally normal, but means you shouldn’t be too quick to jump to your feet when your team scores a goal. It's better to just punch the air in excitement or clap gleefully. One more fun pregnancy symptom to add to the list: you are producing more melanin, which can cause dark patches of skin to occur on random parts of your body. Don’t worry—these dark spots (unlike your parent’s age spots) will retreat soon after birth.
Well, I definitely don't think that belly button has popped yet (oopps - I almost wrote pooped, LOL!), but it definitely has changed in appearance and shape. I've already become somewhat lopsided due to my unicornuate uterus. My bump is more to the left than the right (I have a left UU). Also, the vertical slit that is in inside my belly button looks more like a 45 degree peace sign line tilted to the left since Spot is sitting mostly on my left side in my left sided uterus. I'm hoping that the bigger I get and the uterus expands, that things shift a bit more midline.
As I'm typing this on my laptop a commercial for the Honda CR-V has come on. It's the one where they start out mentioning the word "crave" and they show a soft baked chocolate chip cookie baking and as it gets more formed it turns into a chocolate chip cookie car that is the Honda CR-V. Genius - anything that can combine a yummy chocolate chip cookie and tie it in with a boring car commercial sure grabs my attention! I think all commercials should either contain pictures of vacation spots, puppies, or dessert food aka chocolate chip cookies. But that's just my opinion!
Late this afternoon I have my next OB appointment and anatomy/ growth scan. We have a late day appointment so that my husband can come especially for the ultrasound appointment. I'm hoping that traffic isn't too bad because even though my OB's office is only about 9 or 10 miles away - it'll take a good 45 minutes to get through the city that time of day. Thank you for guessing whether Spot will be a boy or girl - it looks like most people think that there is a lot of blue in our future (my hunch all along as well)! The great thing is that my husband and I don't have a preference either way. As long as my cervix continues to hold Spot in for several more weeks and doesn't try to pull any shenanigans, I don't have a care in the world when it comes to the gender.
So until later this afternoon I will be keeping my fingers crossed for a good cervix measurement and to see that Spot is measuring close to where they should be size wise. I'm interested to see exactly what my cervix is measuring because my last exact measurement by ultrasound of it was two weeks ago. Last week my OB looked at my cerclage and did an internal digit examine of my cervix to see how it was doing - and they can tell pretty well how things are, but they don't have exact numbers like a transvag ultrasound produces. The gender I'm excited about, but not worried about. Now what I am worried about is seeing if I can come up with something that resembles a chocolate chip cookie in my kitchen!

30 comments:
I still have my belly button too. It is definitely shallower though and if I push it, I can make it pop out. Mine appears to have a five pointed star in it.
I know that cookie car commercial. I am eating cake for breakfast this morning.
can't wait to hear boy or girl! i'm keeping my fingers crossed for your appointment too :)
Good luck with your appointment! When I was pg I had a feeling I was having a girl, and I was right--a friend told me there was a study that mother's guess for sex of first babies was better than chance, so could be boy for you!
and my belly button stretched out, but never popped!
Hump Day makes my giggle too. :) I hope everything goes well at the appointment.
I'm so excited to hear what you're having! I hope the appointment goes great! How fun that you hubby can be there!
I am dying to hear the "goods."
Sounds like everything is going wonderfully right now. Praise God!! I am so happy for you, Sara!
*hugs*
Hoping that everything goes well today and that the ultrasound gets you lots of peaks at spot.
I'm sending you long, long cervix vibes. I'd venture a guess as to what flavor baby Spot is, but I'm no good at that.
Good luck at your appointment today...I hope you have only good news for us.
And I still have my belly button, and I'm measuring near to full term! :) Yay me.
Sending you warm fuzzies and happy thoughts for a good look at spot or spot-ette! I’ll be eagerly waiting to hear how the appointment goes.
Your positive attitude is infectious! I couldn’t help but giggle when I read the comment about “hump day.” I say it’s all DH’s fault that my sense of humor now matches that of a 13 year-old boy! :)
Yay! I am so excited to hear if Spot is a boy or a girl! I still think it is a boy! I hope all the measurements check out okay!
Wishing you all the best on the appointment!
I cannot wait to hear how your appointment goes!! I'm on pins and needles!!
As far as belly buttons, mine never popped out with my singleton pregnancy. I don't know your height, but you seem to be built kind of like me, so maybe that won't happen to you either. It has happened this time, and it makes a funny looking little lump on your shirt...not flattering.
i am keeping my fingers crossed for you
Hoping you find something that resembles a chocochip cookie son!
Good luck today! I hope you hear nothing but good news!
Good luck with your scan today!! I hope you get to see him or her moving around a bunch, that's always fun.
Chocolate chip cookies, puppies, and beautiful vacation locales sounds great to me! You are funny and thanks so much for the update. Super Sizing Sending my Best for A wonderful anatomy scan and cervix check!
Can't wait to hear the news!
That's funny that you post about sleep positions and habits. BFFs ultrasounds with godson were always at the same time of day, which happened to be his nap time. He slept in utero with his little hand up in a fist next to his cheek. He still sleeps that way now!!
seriously, I've been absent lately so a few comments here, you're 17 weeks belly pic...i am beyond jealous. I am in maternity clothes now yuck ha ha only gained 5lbs so have no idea why my belly is so popped but it is.
in your 18 weeks, family pics I see a little belly pop YAY!!! You look fabulous as doe sthe family.
Good luck today, I hope measurements are all on que and read well. and I hope that whether spot is male or female they will be sticking around to make you much much fatter ;)
Good luck today!
Have a great appointment today!!! I hope spot does a bootie dance for you! And that your cervix is long and lean.
xo
Just checking in- glad too hear all is well and I hope your cervix looks nice and long this afternoon!
Thanks for your comment on my blog- you are certainly correct that AFEs are very rare and usually do not end as happily as mine did. I am, as ever, the statistical anomoly. Although you're a UUer so you know all about that!
And I'm going to buck the trend and guess you've got a girl in there. Now I must go add "Weeds" to my Netflix queue.
I'm glad to see that things are really coming along for you! Thanks for all of your support!
I love reading your posts. It gives me so much hope.
Sara--dying to hear about today's appointment. Hope the cervix is long and strong, and that the gender could be determined!
Sending positive thoughts your way!
Good luck at your u/s...and as for the belly button, it will end up changing more than you ever thought it could!
J
Thank you for your awesome comments! You are amazingly wonderful and reliable, thanks for checking up on me even when I'm a bad blogger.
I love that you post what stage your little one is at. I just love your posts. I am so glad everything is still moving along just fine.
wellllllllll? don't you know we don't like waiting!? What did the doctor say?
I'm anxiously awaiting your update!
I love the honda CRV and love the cookie commercial even more!
Good luck!
Here via ICLW
Post a Comment