Sunday, July 13, 2008

Birthday weekend

First, thanks for all the congrats and good wishes in finding out that Spot is a little girl! We are so excited.

Today I headed down to my parents house to be a bedresting couch potato on their furniture for a change of scenery instead of my own. This weekend was both my dad's birthday as well as my own, and my mom was cooking out for the afternoon. My grandparents and sister's family were there as well. My sister has four little ones (all under the age of 10) of her own so it's never a dull moment! Her oldest three are boys, and the youngest a girl who is 2. My niece thinks that all little girls are princesses, and so when my sister told her this week that "aunt Sara was going to be having a little girl soon" my niece asked if I was going to be bringing a princess to grandma's house this weekend. Hmm, my sister might have a little explaining to do. My niece spent the afternoon asking if I could let her play with the princess because she "really likes little princesses" and is "tired of her brothers" who are home from school for the summer! All this coming from a 2 year old :-) It'll be nice in the years ahead that my sister's youngest and our first are both girls.
Here's a picture of my sister and I at our parent's house today.

It was nice getting out of our house today, even if it was only to my parent's house and their couch to see the beautiful sunshine and grab a quick picture. I promise I was outside for like 30 seconds and returned promptly to where I belonged. My husband and my mom herded me like cattle - not leaving me much choice :-)


All in all it was a great weekend. Yesterday to celebrate my birthday my husband and I ate from a new restaurant nearby called Oce.an Pri.me that is very nice and serves mostly seafood and steaks. (It's funny - these days we eat "from" restaurants instead of "at" them - but it's still fun) I've avoided most seafood lately because it just doesn't sound good to me - but yesterday I choose some salmon in a ginger sauce that was so yummy. I also started out with an iceburg wedge salad that came with crumbled cheese, onion, tomato, and bacon on top. I love those type of salads for some reason - so I was a happy girl. It's definitely a place I would eat from again. Also, I got a really nice gift card for a prenatal massage package that I'm dying to use when I'm having a quiet week and it's okay for me to go. Since it's a prenatal massage - my OB said that it would be fine as long as I wasn't having active contractions, or any other problems that week. Now I just have to have that quiet week (since this wasn't one of them, LOL!) :-)

I'm also finally starting to acknowledge that Spot may actually arrive in just a few short months. I finally got off of my lazy butt and starting some planning - at last! Well, I didn't actually move off my rear, but I did call our painter to come give us an estimate for painting the room we'll be using as the nursery. While he was over we decided to have him plan on painting most of our first floor as well, and fixing some small cracks that we have in a few spots. He does a great job and since our walls are wet plaster instead of just dry wall - it's good to have someone experienced with repairing wet plaster and coved ceilings. Now I just need to get busy picking out some colors. I figure the two weeks he's working in our house my dog and I will just have to spend our days parked on my mom's couch in front of her TV instead of our own so we don't get high off of the paint fumes. Spot might appreciate not getting high as well :-)

As far as what I spent rotting my brain with this weekend - we watched Over my Dead Body with Eva Longoria which was a really cute movie. Also, we started watching a miniseries that was out a while ago called Tin Man that was based on the Wizard of Oz. I wasn't sure if I like it at first, but we're about 2/3rds through and it's pretty good. Tonight starts the next season of Big Brother and we're excited to see this season's cast. My husband used to watch it faithfully and got me hooked the last few seasons. On a more educational note, I ordered the John Adams miniseries from Netflix, so hopefully my already softening brain won't become total mush (thanks Tracy for the suggestion).

I spoke with my OB again this weekend, and although my next appointment wasn't supposed to be for another week from now, he wants to see me again tomorrow. They want to measure my cervix again to make sure things aren't changing too much too quickly, and because I'm still having contractions. I'm not complaining because I always love sneaking another peak at our little girl Spot - but I'd prefer that my doctors weren't seeing me for the second time in less than a week because they aren't thrilled with how things are going. But, once again - I'm just going to try to make believe that I'm a normal boring pregnant woman who just happens to have a lot of doctor appointments and am on a long vacation from work! It's my own little take on the old saying "ignorance is bliss!"

33 comments:

Adriane said...

Sounds like you had a nice birthday!! Next year you'll be out and about - not stuck in bed!! I figured after finding out Spot is a SHE, you would be doing some shopping and stuff. Yay for online shopping for cute girlie stuff!!

I've watched a few good movies lately, too. Let me know if you end up really liking Tin Man.

Good luck at your appt tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a long, closed cervix!

battynurse said...

Happy Birthday. Glad you had a good weekend and good birthday dinner too. That salmon sounds wonderful. The princess neice sounds really cute. I hope tomorrows appointment goes well.

Evil Stepmonster said...

Glad to hear you had a nice birthday! You certainly look like a normal boring pregnant woman. Funny, for someone meant to be on bedrest, that you are standing in all of your photos lately! Should we talk about this?!

Hope your appointment goes well. Hang in there just a few more months princess.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you had a great weekend, that is great that your daughter will have a girl cousin to play with! Hope your appt. goes well.

Kristen said...

YAY for birthdays! Sounds like yours was fabulous! And I love the whole princess conversation with your neice. My sister in law is pregnant and my neice (who is 3) now asks every woman she sees if she has a baby in her belly...of course SIL isn't showing yet, so she assumes all women do. They are so sweet around that age!

Just Me. said...

Happy belated birthday. I thought of giving you my new perfume, Be S.T.L.L. but it's not launched till this Fall, but I'm gonna give you a big birthday hug... hehe..

Have a great appointment tomorrow and you look good, as always!!!

AwkwardMoments said...

What a fun birthday!Good luck with the painting and tomorrow's Dr appointment

admin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
So happy to see that you were able to get out of the house and rest on someone elses couch! All things considered, it sounds like a fine b-day.

Starting to get ready huh? I think it is great you are getting started with the room. I wish we were there. We have to actually build the room first.... Tiny city rowhomes. Arg.

Waiting on a cervix and contraction update. I think my BH's have slowed down a lot. Are you having BH or "real" contractions?

Thinking about cha.
m
(ps - did you get my email?)

Jen said...

Happy Birthday!

We've watched a lot of movies lately. Here's my list:

Must Sees:
Vantage Point
National Treasure 2

Pretty Good:
The Other Boleyn Girl
Fools Gold
Charlie Wilson's War (excepting some pointless nudity in the first 5 minutes)

LAME but no objectionable:
PS I Love You
No Reservations
Mad Money

Anonymous said...

Glad it was a good birthday weekend!

Irish Girl said...

Happy Birthday!! Glad you were able to celebrate with your family. Your little niece sounds adorable!

Let us know how it goes today, ok?

Becca Daws said...

Happy Birthday! You look beautiful by the way. Where did you get the blouse you are wearing? I am having trouble finding non-tent like maternity shirts and yours is adorable!

I am so glad that you had a great birthday weekend and pray that little girl Spot continues to grow and that you are blessed with a full-term pregnancy!

Soapchick said...

Happy birthday Sara!!! I'm so glad you had a good weekend. By the way your sister looks really familiar. I wonder if I know here from somewhere?

Pauline said...

Bad Sara! You didn't remind me about your birthday! I feel like an ass!
anyway, check out this link on my blog. I wrote it for you.
http://berriesweetpicks.blogspot.com/2008/07/berrie-best-baby-carrierever.html
I owe you a birthday take out lunch. you pick what place and I'll bring it to you!

SAHW said...

Glad you had such a nice weekend...and that you were able to get a much needed change of scenery! Hope all goes well at today's appointment.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad you got to get out for your birthday, even though you didn't get to get up!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Nice pictures, you all look wonderful. Your niece is so cute about wanting to play with the little princess, what a crack up!
Best Wishes for a good check up today.

KatieM said...

Holy Crap I must have missed this....Happy Belated Birthday and glad you had a good weekend! =)

Tracy said...

Happy belated birthday!!! You look great!

And I'm so proud of you for renting John Adams. I think you'll enjoy it.

I'll have to check out Tin Man. Sounds interesting.

edie & ella said...

I am glad that you were able to have a sofa change for a day... it helps to get out! The weather looked beautiful. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! If I lived near you I could bake you a cake with my new giant cupcake cake pan. I will send you a picture of it when I make this weekend and just remember -- it's the thought that counts

Jen said...

*~Happy Birthday!* Sounds like you had a nice time! Great news on the new princess on the way too! Hope your appt goes well today!

Heather said...

Happy belated birthday! Good luck at your appointment. Hope all is well.

Sarah said...

Just stumbled upon your page...congratulations on your baby girl!! They are so much fun!

Alison said...

What a weekend! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I love the pictures. I'm hoping for an update today on your appointment. Hope everything goes well!

Yetty said...

Happy birthday & here's to what sounds like a real fun weekend. Your niece is right, all little girls are definitely princesses

Luke said...

Happy Birthday, Sara! It looks like it was a beautiful weekend there. Glad you got to get outside even if it was just for a photo session. I can't remember (go figure) if I said congratulations on finding out that Spot is a girl! You are going to have SO much fun shopping for her. There is so much available for girls AND it is kind of like reliving your own childhood. FUN, FUN, FUN! Take care and I hope to hear good news from your appt.

Mel said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! Wishing you the happiest year EVER! :) I'm also glad to hear that your day out of the house was enjoyable. You always manage to make me hungry with your descriptions of the entrees you enjoy...yummy!

Sending you warm fuzzy thoughts for a super-duper appointment.

KatieM said...

Oh, and can I just say as I read through your post again I REALLY want a salad covered in blue cheese, bacon, tomato and onion!Thanks....lol ;-)

Tara said...

Happy Birthday. Sounds like a nice weekend. Good luck tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.

Meghan said...

Happy belated birthday!! And I really hope that quiet week comes around soon...that massage sounds wonderfuL!

kaaron said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

And I can't remember if I told you, but congrats on Spot being a girl! I kind of had a feeling for some reason.

Glad you were able to get a change of scenery. Am glad your baby and your sister's youngest will be close in age.

Geohde said...

You look so tall!

It must have been wonderful to have a change of couch. Do you know I've been considering moving mine, just to alter the scenery a bit, but your eay is much better :)

I hope your Cx is not misbehaving at that scan,

J

JW Moxie said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm so far behind on my blog reading, but I'm getting caught up slowly but surely!

You are TALL! You definitely have that glow!

Have you picked out bedding yet?