Blood pressure, weight, and p17 shots - all smooth sailing as always. Cervix - ever problem child was 1.9 soft and squishy - not the best - but I guess can always be worse. Contractions - yes, there are still contractions. Huge ole contraction during exam, and my OB whom I love was not thrilled (not that I thought he would be). We discussed more game plans. Next week I'll pick up my script for the steriod shots to make sure that I have them filled and available for when I turn 24 weeks (three and a half weeks away only!) Monday August 18th when I turn 24 weeks we'll do the first round of steroid shots, and then the next day on the 19th we'll do the second round. For now we'll continue the p17 shots twice weekly and add indocin (to be discontinued in a few weeks). We'll continue frequent cervix checks, and add another growth scan to monitor little Spot's progress in a week and a half. If my contractions pick up to 6 or more an hour then he wants terbutaline and me to be monitored up in L & D. He told me that it may make me feel a little better if I had a little bag packed at home that I could grab and take with me to the hospital, "Just in case I needed it." Since my OB is a calm, cool collected type and not ever trying to get people all worked up or excited he quickly added, "Don't worry, just because if you end up in L & D and have to get terbutaline, and have to stay for a few days does not mean that the Mag Sulfate gods are going to appear and start dancing in front of you - holding you captive for weeks on end in the hospital. I want you to be home as much as you do, and we will do everything possible to keep you there for as long as we can."
I then laughed and smiled and said, "well I hadn't thought that far ahead to even start getting the fear of Mag in me quite yet. But it's good to know that just because I may have to go in for a few days in the future - it doesn't mean I will never return home before I deliver." Some docs will start terbutaline without the patient being monitored at the hospital, or up in L & D. But I think my OB just doesn't want to start me on anything that major, without keeping me on a monitor to see exactly how I react. There are a gazillion approaches to the same problems in medicine and that is just his - more than one way to skin a cat I guess. Hopefully when that happens I can just respond beautifully to some Terb, stay for a few hours and get the heck home. But I guess time will tell.
So that's pretty much what's going on for now. I'm not sure why I'm so reluctant to pack the little bag he talked about. Perhaps when I do that I feel as though I'm throwing in some proverbial towel and admitting defeat? Or perhaps it's the ugly stepchild named Denial that I'm fostering inside right now. Who the heck knows...all I know is that I'm having a little trouble making myself do that right now - at the 20 week mark. So instead I chose to come home and pick a paint color for the nursery at last - and it's a color I feel good about :-) Maybe I'll have a picture of the room actually painted that color sometime next week to share - that'll be a nice feeling. And a few people asked me what bedding I've picked out. Truth is I haven't actually decided on anything specifically yet. We have the bassinet - and the bedding that goes with it is the same that is in the picture I posted earlier. As far as for the crib bedding I'm leaning towards this one - but nothing set in stone. I found it at Restoration Hardware's new baby line, they have some cute stuff. It's not very frilly - but neither am I.

Hope everyone's week is going great - it's almost the weekend! As always, I truly appreciate all of your kind words, and asking how appointments went, and good wishes for the cervix and all- it has made the weeks fly by instead of dragging so much. If you get a chance go give Irish Girl a little reassurance or good thoughts - her IVF cycle just got done and her first beta was not that reassuring aka she is in beta limbo land hell. On a happy note Adriane had her twins at 33 weeks and they're doing great!

40 comments:
Sounds like everything is going *ok*. I like that your doctor is being so cautious, hard as it may be to think of having a bag packed.
LOVE the bedding...love it. I mean it. Love it.
and if i were you i wouldnt pack a bag either - it would definitely feel like "its inevitable" as opposed to "just in case". its not terribly important to dwell on anyway, but paint is! YAY you picked a color. I cant wait to see it!
Thanks, girl. I'm thinking of you too. And that bedding is absolutely way too cute for words!
So glad to hear the appointment went well and although your cervix has a mind of her own, she is staying put for now!
Love that bedding, how cute! I might have that bag packed, just in case. Eventually you will be going to the hospital anyay, even if you are 38 weeks!
I love on the bedding. And I'm sorry this is such a roller coaster. You're a tough cookie, you know that?
You always have such great medical detail in your posts -- totally interesting. I'm glad Spot was looking good, and I hope you don't need the bag you've been asked to pack.
See, my view would be to pack the bag because then I wouldn't need it! It seems like when I prepare for those sorts of things, they don't happen! Especially if you put something really good inside- like a book that you've been waiting to read. You'll never get to use the bag if that happens. So that is my vote.
Glad the appointment went mostly well. I'm glad that your doctor is so attentive to your needs and that he is monitoring you so closely.
I love that bedding for spot. It's so pretty. I love the pink/brown combination.
Thanks for the update, LGS sure knows how to make her presence known! (loved your name choices btw) The bedding is beautiful and can't wait to see a photo of the nursery. I like Jen's attitude about how packing your bag is good insurance against being admitted. Sending my best to you all and here's another funny "Name" joke compliments of my 13 y/o.
He said "Mom, if my last name was Ping, I'd name my child Poo. So their name would be Poo Ping". I know, I know, Sara, Welcome to My World. It's actually kinda funny and so sorry if I offended anyone name "Poo" or "Ping". ((Hugs))
Yeah!!
Ok - I'm super glad your dr is so carefully monitoring you. That is super encouraging.
I've been waiting for an update on your appointment. Since you are getting shots already, I'm sure the steroid shot won't bother your booty like it did mine.
I can understand you not packing your bag, I can't bring myself to do it either and I'm 31 weeks. I don't want the twins to come early, and I feel if I avoid doing something as simple as packing a bag they will hold out for a long time.
I love the bedding you have picked out. Pinks and browns are adorable together.
The bedding is really beautiful. You have such wonderful taste. I always choose the loudest thing I can find... Let me know if you liked anything that leaned in the boy direction. I'll just get what you like:)
That is so funny about Spot headbutting the doc. I am so glad your movements are getting so strong. It is reassuring.
xo
20 weeks! That's awesome. I know you don't want to think about having to take that packed bag, and hopefully you won't need to...but maybe your doctor is right to be a little cautious? :)
Gorgeous bedding...very nice choice. :)
I've been thinking I might need to pack a bag sometime soon too, but then I just start thinking about how it can wait a little longer. I probably won't have it all together when I finally do go into labor.
First off, I LOVE the bedding! I'm not a frilly person either, and I love the sophisticated girly colors.
Secondly, sorry the cervix check didn't go as well as planned, but WOW, baby girl Spot gave a show! That is truly the best part of being pregnant -- feeling them move!
Very beautiful bedding! I love it!
What a pesky little cervix--glad everything else is going well. As for the bag packing area, since you have fam in the area (if I'm remembering correctly) I wouldn't pack it because it would freak me out, instead I'd count on the fact that if I needed to go in early, someone could go home for me and get what I needed. But I like to rationalize things away and live in denial--it really is a lovely place!
Love the bedding and can't wait to see the new paint!
Well it sounds like little Spot is doing great! It also sounds like you have a wonderdul doctor!
Can't wait to see the baby's room!
Pack that bag, just incase...I'll be praying you don't have to use it. :)
*MUCH LOVE*
It sounds like there is a plan for the onwards direction, and that things continue on only slightly rockily (pesky cervix!). Do you know I've had my bag packed for so long that I have to go through it today and make sure the clothes still fit....urgh!
J
I love your bedding and am so jealous of all the cute pink stuff you're going to get! As for all the other stuff, you know i've been there and done that. The p17, terb, mag, contractions, checks, worry, etc... The p17 really seems to work well, and the terb made me feel so much better. The contractions stopped being so frequent for quite awhile. I was also on nifedipene for awhile. I also did not pack a bag until 34 weeks. I agree, I just didn't want to be ready to go to l&d before than. I visited l&d too many times to count, but never had to stay overnight this time. Last time yes, and I told dh what to bring. I agree it's probably not bad to have a "pile" somewhere that dh could find and bring, but i'm with you don't back a bag. :)
So glad to hear your appt. went well! Love the bedding, definitly my style!!!!
It sounds like you have a REALLY great OB. I wouldn't pack the bag either, because it sounds like it would be some kind of mental defeat, and you've got to keep your spirits up. Your DH can always toss a few things together if it absolutely comes to that.
I asked BFF about the head/butt thing. I think she said that it was because the head is soft and the butt is hard, from the outside feeling. It sounds counterintuitive, but I think that's what she said.
Love the bedding and bassinet you posted. Pink and Brown are my top girl choice!
Happy 20 weeks! You're halfway there!
Isn't it awesome to already be halfway there!! I love, love, love the bedding - and I am so glad Spot is doing well and even putting up a little fight at the invasion of her space!
I think it's great that everything is planned in such detail. I think a bit like Jen, too--packing the bag might mean not having to use it :) I love the bedding, too!
I think everything is going to be great! You're doing an awesome job and your little girl is going to hang out in there for a long time!! Remember...you are the boss...your cervix is not!! LOL, I love that bedding!
I'm not frilly either...and I LOVE that bedding. Hang in there. (here from ICLW)
You're preparing for and trying to focus on the positive instead of the negative. Whether it's a defense mechanism or denial or whatever - I like it. :)
I LOVE the bedding. It's adorable. I've always loved the combination of brown with pink. Frilly pink is annoying to me, but it looks so nice and sophisticated when paired with brown!
I'm glad the checkup went ok. I hope the cervix chills out so you don't have use that bag (or even pack one). Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you!
Love the bedding! I'm not into frills either, so I love the clean lines. I'm going to have to take a look at Restoration Hardwares new line! ;)
Here from ICLW:
Love the bedding. It is absolutely beautiful! And, I am glad you have such a wonderful doctor. Best wishes to you and your family!
congtu;ations on thr 20 weeks mark!. Remeber little spot, the longer you stay there the better!!!!!!! Loved the bedding
I'm not frilly either - love the bedding.
Glad to hear that you had another decent appointment. Really glad to hear that your doc is so cautious and taking such good care of you!
You were kidding about baking, right? I know that's not considered bedrest! I will make you a lemon cake or chocolate or both if you like! I make the TGIF's Malt cake, we are talking FABULOUS! Thanks for your nice comment about #1 son, both the boys love, love, love babies (just like their parents) and I'm sure will be cooing over your lil'Girl Spot! Looking forward to next Monday, week 21!!
Love that crib set!
I spent hours contemplating what to get for our little boys crib. He's eight months old now, and has yet to actually sleep in his crib. Still love the bedding though!
ICLW
I love how Spot is claiming her space and hope that means she wants to stay in there for quite awhile longer. You are a real trooper through all of this. (hugs)
I'm glad that it's going "ok": Hopefully it will continue. It definitely sounds like you have a good doctor.
I like the bedding colors.
ICLW
Love your pink, non-frilly baby bedding. Very stylish and feminine!
Have a wonderful weekend and take good care.
via iclw
Thanks for the ICLW comment on my blog. I totally LOVE that bedding. I think it is one of the most attractive and beautiful I've seen.
I absolutely love your baby bedding! Great choice! Sounds like things are going really well. Keep taking it easy and enjoying being pg!! Check back soon with you...
Via ICLW....
That crib bedding is beautiful. Good luck, I hope all goes well for you and I hear good news for next ICLW!
I think your doc sounds fab, and very careful. It must seem scary 'preparing' but personally I would rather it's me backing away from/avoiding things than a blase doc.
Thinking legs crossed vibes for a long time to come! xxx
over from ICLW
Post a Comment