

Yesterday late afternoon was my 18 week appointment and anatomy scan. My husband picked me up and we headed to the OB office together, luckily traffic during rush hour wasn't too bad and we made it through the city making good time. Once called back for our ultrasound my favorite ultrasound tech was there and had me undress from waist down. I still have a transvag ultrasound to measure my cervix along with the abdominal one for the remainder portion of the scan. Almost immediately little Spot appeared on the screen. Reclining back watching the screen I felt like I was watching a movie where our little Spot played the staring role - honestly they should offer you some nice buttery popcorn while you viewed. Perhaps that will be one for the suggestion box? The tech goes well there's the vagina...and I waited for her to say and there's the cervix and cerclage - but she didn't. She was staring at me. Once again, the tech goes, "there's the vagina." Huh? Wait a minute..does that means Spot is a "Girl Spot?" Yup she smiled, you're having a girl!
I turned to my husband and said, we're having a girl! I still couldn't believe that Spot who I thought was a boy all along was actually a girl! My husband has thought girl all along. Not that we even cared what gender it was, but it's so nice to have some more identity to put with our little one. The rest of the appointment breezed by because I think I was still riding on my little high of realizing that I was not longer just carrying our little "Spot", but rather our little Spot- our daughter.
On the cervix and growth front as well, it was pretty good news as well. Spot was measuring in the 30% - so our little girl is on the smaller end of the spectrum. But heck I will take that, she had all of her parts, no abnormalities were seen, and 30% isn't too bad in my opinion. As I've mentioned with a unicornuate uterus, IUGR (growth restriction) is a main concern - so this is something that we will watch every 2-4 wks with growth scans from here on out. On the cervix front, the cerclage itself is intact which is great. My cervix did get shorter once again from the last measurement - that pesky little bugger! But it didn't get a lot shorter, so once again we'll do more of the same. More bedrest, more monitoring, more watching my cerclage.
I am so grateful that we are fortunate enough to have caught this weeks ago when we did. Since even with bedrest and a cerclage in place my cervix is still shortening - I know without doing the two we wouldn't even have our little girl Spot at this 18 week mark. My OB said that he was so glad we were able to get to the point to enjoy a 18 week growth scan and to be able to find out that Spot was a girl. I know each week is a blessing and that we have all our ducks in a row and everything lined up to do the best we can with what we have. Basically the game plan is that my cervix may continue to shorten, but we all have to hope that it shortens at a slow enough rate. Technically with a cerclage in place, you can shorten to very low levels and hope that you have a strong enough stitched that was placed high enough up to hold things in place.
Most days I'm still having some contraction like cramping. My OB is talking with my peri and I should know more today about what the game plan is for that. All in all, I couldn't be happier. We now know Spot is a girl, she isn't measuring too too small, and my cervix is shortening - but it could always be worse. Yes I'm having contractions, but you know what - I'm only contracting because I still have Spot with us! My husband and I joked that the contractions are just girl Spot's way of say, "Hi mom and dad - yup I'm still here...don't forget about me!"
I'll try to update more if I know anything else as the day goes and hope to have some pictures up later as well. Hope everyone is having a good Thursday, it's almost the weekend!

62 comments:
YAY!!!! I am so glad everything went so well and you are expecting a beautiful DAUGHTER!!!!
WOO-HOO
On to picking names...
*hugs*
Yay!!! and Whew!!! I've been waiting all morning to hear something from you.
CONGRATS on your DAUGHTER, Mommy...so exciting!
Do you feel like you're in a race against time? Keep on doing what you're doing; it sounds like you are in great hands.
Congrats on finding out about your daughter! How exciting!
Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! You continue to amaze me with your fantastic, always positive, and upbeat attitude. I believe wholeheartedly in the mind/body connection and I must say you got it goin' on, Momma!
I'm thinking of you and hoping for continued celebrations as the weeks tick by!
A pink Spot! Hooray!!! I am soooo, so very happy for you and dh, Sara! I love that your doctor has been adn is being so vigilant and isn't taking any chances.
Thank you for sharing the great news, Whoo-Hoo.A little girl, I thought so (along w/your DH, tee hee). You daughter's 30% is just fine, well within baseline normal, my dear, especially since you both look average/petite? Not Shaquille O'Neal sized which is also included in the percentiles, so Good Going Ladies! Slow on down, Mrs.Cervix, ya'hear?? You too, Contractions (no balsamic vinagrette, okay? L&D swears that it induces contractions, I kid you not) Anyway, that's all my requests to your various body parts. You know what? You are so absolutely Freaking right, it's because of your wonderful Attitude and hard work (yes, bed Rest and gestating is very tough work) that Spotella is coming along very nicely. Thanks as always for sharing, ((Hugs)) and High 5, Martha
How wonderful! A perfect little spot-ette! I couldn’t be happier for you! As always, your attitude and outlook are so refreshing. You always manage to put a smile on my face with your updates.
Congratulations!!!!!
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!
A little girl spot. That is great...
{{HUGS}}
Oh, that's WONDERFUL news. Hooray for ladybits!
I'm thinking of you and ickle Spot today.
HA! I knew Spot was a girl :) the world deserves a mini-you. Glad for the good news. We'll keep praying God's divine covering on you, your DH & your beautiful daughter.
What awesome news!! Hip hip hooray for little girls. :o) How exciting!!
yay for girls spot! And she looks gorgeous, too!
Lovely! A girl Spot is perfect! I don't think 30% is bad. Someone has to be in the 30% or it wouldn't exist. (I mean, obviously, but does that make sense?) It's just normal variations on normal size.
Hooray for 18 weeks!
Congrats on your little girl!!
So glad everything went well at the anatomy scan and that things are holding relatively steady
All her parts there; what wonderful news! Congratulations!
May your cervix be cooperative.
A GIRL! Hurrah!
I'm not finding out the sex.. but when I see others find out - I totally want to know too.
: )
what wonderful news! A baby girl! Congrats on the great news!
I was right! Well now you know we do everything as mirror images, so after finding out mine was a boy, you should have known for sure yours was a girl! ;-)
I am so, so thrilled to hear things are good and pray that little cervix continues to behave. You can do this!!
Congrats on a sweet girl! She is SO cute already!
Holy cow! Spot is a girl! I must admit I was wrong (I don't do that often.) So glad to hear that everything went well! Keep taking good care of yourself and resting. ((hugs))
I knew it, I knew it!!! I am always wrong at guessing games. I said boy - and of course Spot is a girl!!! Yeah - a girl Spot!!!!
I am so glad to hear that the rest of the scan went well. I am sad that your cervix is still being a bugger. But if the rate of shortening remains slow then chances are good you can keep on trucking!
I am just over the moon - Yeah! Joy!!!
Keep resting Babymama. our doing great!
CONGRATS ON THE BABY GIRL!!!! I knew it!
Congratulations!!! Yay for girls! I also thought we were having a boy until my 18 week ultrasound. So much for mother's intuition, eh? :)
I was wrong!!! Buying pink will be so much fun!
I hope that everything stays in place and that the bedrest and monitoring will continue to help keep pink Spot growing.
I found your blog today through comments on Martha's blog. Congratulations! We just started IVF this week. Wishing you lots of luck. My aunt had an incompetent cervix and did what you are doing through her second successful pregnancy. That little girl graduated high school a few years ago! So go you! And little girl Spot too!
That is so Great! I actually got choked up when I read your post! I can't imagine knowing what it must be like to find out you don't just have a baby, but a daughter (in your case) or a son. It just brings up so many more specific thoughts about what it will be like when they're finally here!!!
CONGRATS!!! I'm so incredibly happy for you both!
As always I will keep praying!
Yay!!!! I'm glad that everything went well and that all is moving along ok. And Yay!!! It's a girl!!!
Congratulations on a daughter! We are big fans of girl babies in our household :).
I have determined that the reason I predicted you were having a boy is due to the name "Spot". Lila has a book about a little dog names Spot, and I've always thought of that as a boy dog name, so there you go...I was projecting that onto your little baby, lol.
I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. You are so positive...it's wonderful to see.
You have a daughter! Congratulations!!!!
Thank you for your words of support yesterday. Being pregnant is stressful, and you are taking it in such stride. I'll be checking on you and Spot...hang in there.
I'm so excited for you!! Yay everything is okay and yay--Spot is a girl!! You have a daughter--amazing!!!
Congrats on your Spot-ette :)
You have a wonderful way of coping with all this high risk preg business,
xx
J
Congrats on seeing your little girl! You must be so excited!
Congratulations on having a girl! I'm happy you've made it another week and things are still going well. I continue to think about you and pray for you and little spotette.
I am so happy for you! A baby girl! Congratulations!
You know, if you want to pay about $300 bucks, you can get a 3D scan at about 30 weeks (I did and it was super cool, and very reassuring.). They DO offer popcorn! HAHA!
My baby girl is already growing out of the newborn stuff, so if you want some beautiful clothes that have been worn--ONCE, let me know and I will send you a package.
:)
I'm so glad everything is going so well.
Congrats on your baby girl!! Now you can start all that online pink frilly girly shopping. I'm sure she will need a pair of shoes or 7. (:
Oh my goodness! Look at your baby! Your daughter! Congratulations :) And have no fear, you don't need to come up with a name in a day ;) Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it.
I am screaming, IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAHHHHH!!!!!
Congrats!!!!!
Congratulations on your precious baby girl! She is adorable! So glad she is measuring well and looks healthy. I voted girl, for the record :)
I have something for you on my blog. Stop by!
oh yeah!!! a girl!! how exciting
YAY! Having a daughter is so wonderful. I ma so happy for you. I am counting the weeks wih you my friend. Keep growing spot. Rest, rest and rest
Congrats on a baby girl, a good ultrasound and a very good attitude. I am praying really hard that little lady Spot remains exactly where she is for many more weeks to come. God bless!
What wonderful news. A little girl Spot. Thrilled for you.
Congrats! Great news that you're having a little girl. I bet you were surprised!!! I was thinking boy, too! :-) Hope your cervix continues to hang in there and you are taking it easy.
A girl! Yay! I am so happy for you!
Wow... that's so cool. I cannot wait for my next u/s.
So glad to hear that all is well with little Ms. Spot!
Lost in space suggesting checking out your blog...just wanted to say hi and congratulations on your little girl! How exciting!
Oh, congratulations! You will forever have a daughter. How wonderful Sara!
Oh, look at the little Twink! She's a cutie!
Congrats on the good U/S and the beatiful baby girl!
I found your site through Stirrup Queen...am not much of commenter but I do lurk: so be warned! ;)
Jo
Awww! Congrats, a girl!
Oh, I am so happy for you! I was tearing up, reading all about your scan, remembering the scan when I found out Keira was a girl. She was also measuring on the small side. That is a day that you will cherish forever.
Hang in there--you are doing great!
P.S.
Funny about your neighbors, the Coopers, with the Mini.
Just checking in from my weekend away and saw your news. Congrats on the baby girl! So happy for you!
Congrats on your baby girl!!!
I hope the next 22 weeks are uneventful :)
A little birdie told me, actually L&F, it's your Birthday tomorrow, so here goes...
Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday, Dear Sara, My Favorite Preggo CRNA
and many more! ((Hugs)) and best wishes for a most enjoyable day with your family. Hi Miss Spot, psst, you are your mommy's bestest birthday present ever!!
OMG yay a Miss Spot. ha ha ha I probably would have said the same thing, like duh I've seen the vagina for decades now thanks, get to work ha ha ha. too funny. I am SO glad everything seems well and is going well. OMG a little girly shoe loving Miss Spot!! CONGRATS!!!! 12 days for us to wait (i say boy, maybe it will be a girl too ha ha). YAY !!
looking good! A girl! How exciting!!! Pull out the name book now, and get busy!
Oh! A Daughter! (I'm crying now) I am so happy that Spot and your cervix are doing well. Take care and keep resting as best as you can.
Congrats on your GIRL! Hopefully your cervix will stop mucking about.
happy birthday!
Lovely!!! I love looking at other people's U/S. And Ican READ your excitment :-)
Post a Comment