Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mr Zamboni man where are you?

I'm Not the Type of Guy that Normally Complains About <span class=Zambonis">

Being from Michigan, hockey has always been a pretty popular topic. In high school, our school hockey team was pretty good. They won the state championship a few years and my friends and I always went to the games. The guy who ran the zamboni was extremely cute. My friends and I would always try to position ourselves close to the ice so we could gawk and get a good look at him, it was always the highlight of the night whether we won or lost!

Lately, I've kind of been wishing that I could find that zamboni man again. Not because I'm in need of some hot male eyecandy (I have my husband for that :-) but rather I could use someone to smooth out the rough spots in my life. I yearn for a pregnancy to be as smooth as the ice after the zamboni has passed over leaving a glistening path behind. I somehow don't think that this is going to be the case.

I'm proud to report that my spotting had stopped. Stopped for a day. It was quickly replaced by actual bleeding, and then as of Friday night, some lovely cramping as well. This continued through part of the day yesterday as well. My doctor's office has seen me and reported that despite all this...all is well...for now. They're just going to continue to monitor things. Together, the office and I have decided that I'll be cutting back my work hours from 40 to 24 (3 eight hour shifts) when I am feeling good enough to go in. I say together because my RE asked what I felt comfortable doing..I said three eights and he said that sounded reasonable as long as I was not having a crazy amount of bleeding or cramping. I also ran into my normal OB doc at the hospital Friday and while we were talking about things he revealed that his wife had experienced the same things as I was having. He said that often people who are spotting and bleeding are the same people who have it frequently throughout their first trimester. Yet as long as ultrasounds and exams are within normal and I am taking it easy...that is all we can do for now. He reassured me that this can happen and you can still have good outcome. We both know that sometimes people do not, but we didn't spend much time dwelling on that because we both knew that was Captain Ob.vious. Thursday I have another ultrasound and appointment.

Only one more day...then I'll be seven weeks pregnant. I hope that maybe just maybe my zamboni man will reappear and smooth out a path for me, I could sure use one. Even though it'll only be seven weeks, I've already grown quite found of the little bugger that my husband and I call "Spot." Spot because right now he or she is so little on that ultrasound screen that's all that I can make out.

So for now I guess it's just one day at a time. Each day I'm thankful that we're one step closer to the next appointment, or the next week milestone. Next weekend we might get together for a game night with some friends and my husband is eagerly looking forward to the football draft that same day. It's these little things getting us through right now, the little things that make us feel "normal" when nothing else seems quite in place. I'm so thankful to have those "normal" things, and some really nice comments from you all along the way!


30 comments:

KatieM said...

I was exactly like that...although this pregnancy seems to be going better than my last there is always that resounding "what if". However, I also learned that, like yourself, taking it each week at a time prevents me from going *too* crazy. Each week I stay pregnant is a sigh of relief....just keep on trucking, we will be in 2nd tri in no time ;-)

HereWeGoAJen said...

I will keep my figners crossed. Bleeding is scary, but as long as everything still looks good. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Meghan said...

I too had a crush on the zamboni guy..too funny

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and I'm so sorry this time has been so stressful for you. Very glad little Spot is hanging on tight in there ;)

Luke said...

I am keeping you and "Spot" in my prayers. I had really bad cramping too up until week 10. It's scary as all hell. We all deserve a zamboni man. Nobody should have to suffer through this stuff.

AwkwardMoments said...

believe it or not - we do have zamboni's in FL. And our very own State Hockey team that won the stanley cup (last year or 2 yrs ago) - Go Lightening

As for you - I am keeping my prayers coming. Know you are in good hands!

*thank you for all the sweet comments/prayers for me -even when i am just whining and need to be slapped

JJ said...

When I saw the title of your post, I have to admit I was a bit confused! But what perfect sense it makes...I do hope things are totally SMOOTH for you soon--I hope the spotting is completely gone ASAP!

Jill said...

I'm sorry it hasn't been an 'ideal pregnancy' so far. Bleeding is scary...that's actually what I sent you an email about. I'm thinking you didn't get it though, since I just read your comment on my blog. I need to go back and make sure that I sent it to the correct address. Girl, just know that I'm praying for you...I really want the bleeding to stop so you can enjoy this pregnancy, you deserve it after all you've been through to get here! Take care of yourself, k? Don't overdue it. Will check back in on you soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the doctors are keeping a close watch on you. Each day is a milestone you can celebrate! I hope your little "spot" grows big and strong!

battynurse said...

I'm sorry you are still having spotting and the bleeding also. I know how nervous that would make me. I hope that it all ends up being nothing that goes away soon.

Sully said...

Hi hon,

I hear ya on the zamboni man. I noticed a slight trace of spotting this evening as well and am having a bit of a freak out. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Alyssa said...

I've got my fingers and toes and everything crossed for you! I'm hoping that, once you get past this period of cramping and spotting, the zamboni man will show up and give you a clear, smooth pregnancy!

Mazzy said...

Scary times, girl. I am keeping you steadfast in my prayers that this will pass.
*hugs*

Jen said...

I so identify with what you're saying (as best I can anyway). My bff is pregnant after years of trying and she didn't really start to feel it was "real" until month 4 or 5.

Praying for your zambonie man to come along ;) I really sincerely hope that God will give you peace, that baby will stay put, and that you will fully enjoy this pregnancy!

Tracy said...

You have such a great attitude...and if you find that zamboni man, send him my way!!! Your doctors are telling you the same things mine are telling me, so I guess we'll just have to roll with that, right?

When I was in college, we always called the towel that we kept handy in case anybody spilled beer "zamboni." It especially game in handy during quarter bounce. Ah, the good old days.

Where in MI are you? I'm up in the Saginaw Valley.

Morrisa said...

I am praying like crazy that all continues to be well with Spot!

Yetty said...

I'm routing for you Sara. Hope all the spotting/bleeding becomes a distant memory very soon & thi pregnancy brings you much joy & a healthy baby

Amanda said...

I'm praying that you have smooth sailing starting ASAP!

My Mom informed the the other day that she not only had 1 "period" with me and my twin, but 3 while pregnant with my sister. By the time she found out she was pregnant with my sister the doctor merely had to feel the outside of her belly to tell she was knocked up! Apparantly that's how most of my MIL's pregnancies went, too.

Pauline said...

sara, hugs from me and the family fou you and Spot. we're here for you whenever you need us.

KH99 said...

I'm sorry that you haven't been able to have much peace of mind so far. I'm hoping everything calms down soon and you can enjoy the pregnancy.

Stephanie said...

How frustrating. I hope the zamboini man shows up too. I'm happy that spot is staying put anyway, with or without him.

Thanks for the kind words on my post. You are too sweet.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and spot. Good luck!

Kathy said...

Hi Sara, I am going to assume the best and say congratulations on being 7 weeks pregnant today! Saying prayers that Spot will be tenacious like Uno - thanks so much for your supportive words for him/her! Things might not always be smooth, but that doesn't mean it won't turn out okay. Hang in there!

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Sounds like a great out look hun. I agree, odds are that things will turn out just fine. Right after my BFP I spotted on and off for several weeks, and while mine did not progress to full on bleeding, MANY friends and family said that they had had actual BLEEDING during their pregnancies and that everything had turned out just fine. There are tons of stories about it on the net too. There are tons of bood vessels in there and any number of things could happen, mst of them NOT the end of the world. I'll be thinking about you.

admin said...

I was thinking about you all weekend, wondering how you were doing. I am sorry to hear about the blood and cramps. Just try to stay calm. Our doctors do the best they can to tell us not to "worry" - HA! But I do think cutting back on work is a smart move.

Keep us posted. Let's hope you Zamboni man is on the way to smooth things out!

Becca Daws said...

Hey!

I am so sorry things have been so scary for you. I can't imagine the roller coaster you have been on. I hope things calm down for you and you can just enjoy!

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I went to the OB yesterday and got a plan together for monitoring. I'll have to email you soon and let you know what it is.

Hope you appt. goes well this week!

Hugs!

Tracy said...

Hey Sara!

I don't know how to email you, so forgive the long comment.

I'm not at all worried about the AFP. I wouldn't even take it again, and wouldn't have taken it in the first place if I'd known a bit more at the time, but my doctor wants the info...

For mold, my gramps recommended using a thatcher (Scott rented one) to break up the mold and lift off dead grass. After he got it all thatched, he raked all the junk up. Gramps said you need to be patient, but it should have new growth by June. He has his PHD in agiculture, so he's a good source for info on that stuff. :)

Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara,

Whew, that must have been scary! I'm so glad it stopped and that things are looking good still! I think it is a good idea to slow down a bit at work. 3 - eights sound a lot better than 3 - twelves!

I haven't ever had a zamboni crush, but I have had many crushes on hockey players. Do you remember the vipers in Detroit? They were not in the NHL. They played at the Palace. I had the hugest crush on one of the players. I think his name was Joe Day? Ha Ha!

But I hear ya about just wishing for things to smooth out for a change! I agree you have been throught the ringer thus far. Let's hope that you get it ALL out of the way early and the rest will be smooth sailing!!!

kaaron said...

I hope that things SMOOTH over quickly for you. I am glad that you are reducing your work hours. I hope that spotting ends soon and that today means a happy 7 weeks for you!

2weeks2much said...

I'm so glad that the you are doing ok despite the bleeding. Spot is gonna be just fine! I'm saying prayers for you!

JW Moxie said...

You sound remarkably calm despite the circumstances. Even if you're not the face of perfect relaxation all of the time, the fact that you're able to try to view things day-by-day and step-by-step is wonderful. "Every day is one day closer" is a long time mantra of mine. I hope that Thursday's ultrasound is indicative of Zambonied days ahead.

admin said...

My u/s is 10:15 eastern on thursday. I'll be thinking about you too, and looking for an update.

good luck