Over the last few days I've noticed that I have been gaining a lot of weight in my abdomen. I found this a little strange since I've been really nauseated and haven't been eating all that much. I've just been trying to drink a lot of fluids, and take my vitamins, etc. Well, yesterday by the time I got home from work I looked like I was about 5 months pregnant. I knew something was wrong. My husband while we were making dinner mentioned, "I don't want to say anything stupid, but you look like you already have a little bit of a belly. That's so cool. I love it!" I quickly realized that I wasn't imagining things, I was retaining a lot of fluid, and despite my husband's loving approval of a pregnant belly that he has waited so long to see - something was definitely not right. So I went up to weigh myself and I was up 12-15lbs since the weekend, and I have not been eating as much as normal! Uh-oh!
Long story short, I actually have not been feeling bad otherwise, other than "the bloat." After my transfer, I had all that problem with bleeding, but not excessive bloating too badly. In other words, the two weeks following my transfer passed without a wink of OH.SS. I went to work this morning, and when my RE's office opened I stopped in. My favorite nurse took one look and said, yup you have late onset OH.SS that starts once you're pregnant and is exacerbated by pregnancy due to the surge of hormones. I had lab work drawn, CBC, lytes, coags, and LFTs. I then had a breakfast date with the dildo cam aka transvaginal ultrasound, and an external ultrasound. I then go to see my doctor's partner for a quick exam. I have some mild to moderate OH.SS. I have fluid in my abdomen, around my ovaries, and my ovaries are about three times as big as they should be. Good thing is that the fluid hasn't traveled up to my liver, lungs or heart. Yay! Although I definitely would be having more significant symptoms if it had traveled in those delicate regions. I have been having some leg cramps, and some pain in my abdomen. Yet I had chalked it up to the little bit of cramping that they said was normal in early pregnancy after IVF. I guess the cramping was dehydration since all the fluid I was drinking was going in my abdomen, and the pain was not pregnancy cramps, but rather late onset OH.SS. I did not realize that OH.SS could rear it's ugly head three weeks after transfer, when no symptoms were present two weeks post transfer.
I got some fluid at the office, and was told to go home from work and take it easy for the weekend - "somewhat modified bedrest" according to them, whatever that means. I have to go back tomorrow for repeat labs and a third beta. Then Monday I have another date with the dildo cam and his friend the external ultrasound, as well as my follow up IVF appointment with my RE. If things are improving I might be allowed to go back to work later in the week for some shorter shifts, but they said I "would have to wait and see." Augh...I hate not being able to go to work, I am a weirdo that actually likes my job. The good part of the day was that during my experience with the dildo cam I got to see a single yolk sac with a dot inside with some shadowing around the entire sac, perhaps a second one? Now at least I know that something is in there! Part of my worrying has subsided. I was getting worried (what else is new) that I would go in monday and they would see a sac with nothing in it, now I know something is there! My favorite nurse seemed pretty excited about it, so I got excited too!
So I guess I get another quite evening at home. I sure am glad we signed up for Ne.tflix last month. I'm sure getting my use out of them. My doggie is delighted that I came home early from work. Right now we're settled on the couch snuggling with my favorite pillow and La.nds E.nd blanket. My husband will be home a little early from work, as usual he's been great about everything!
If you get a chance stop by my friend Pauline's blog. She is a free lance writer who writes for several magazines, newspapers, and online resource sites. She has a very good link from her blog entry from yesterday to an article she wrote about how to evaluate online resource sites when researching health info for you and your family - which advice to take away from internet sites and which ones to pass up on. She too has had her struggles with infertility in the past. So go over, say hi, leave a comment if you wish, or just check out a couple of interesting articles she has written recently for Baby Goo.roo.

15 comments:
I hope that gets cleared up soon. I had no idea that could happen now too.
I have heard that OHSS is not fun at all. Try to take it easy. My dog is a great bed rest buddy!
I'd never heard of that either, but at least it's not a bad case. At least it got you a sneak peak at what's going on in your ute. Congrats on seeing something!!!
Wow. I am consistently learning about all kinds of things that can happen in our little infertility nook of this world. How crazy. I am so glad you went to the dr and found out what was going on. I hope this all resolves itself rapidly, though, and you get to feeling better stat!!
Put your feet up and take it easy, mama (to-be)!!!
*hugs*
That is hugely unfortunate. i am so sorry that you have ohss! I have heard that a pregnancy makes ohss feel much worse from the extra hormones. YAH for seeing a sac!
i have a question for you miss nursie poo- if i have an excess of red blood cells in my urine - is that horribly bad?
Hey there - take it easy, mama! Enjoy the down time while you can. Oh, and I agree, Netflix is the IVF-ers best friend. :)
Yikes, do they have you drinking gatorade? I hope it goes away soon. Enjoy your rest in the meanwhile. By the way when I had my egg retrieval on Wednesday I told the CRNA that I had a friend (that's you) who does the same job and she checks out people's veins when she is at the grocery store. She laughed and then she said I had beautiful veins. My husband chimed in and said that's what attracted him to me (my veins). It was so funny.
Yuck. Sorry about the late onset OH.SS. Hope it clears up quickly.
Bless your heart...I hope it gets better soon! Try to take it easy!
I don't know what OHSS is but I hope it's not serious and that you get to feeling better soon!
Oh my gosh Sara, that is crazy. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this! But I'm glad that they are thinking your case is not too severe. Hopefully it passes soon!
Congrats on seeing something on the ultrasound. That is so wonderful!!! Yay!
Why is it always something? Hope the rest clears it up nice and fast
Hi Sara, I got behind on the news, but CONGRATULATIONS on being pregnant!!! I hope the OHSS is gone soon and you get good news everytime you see the doc again. Very happy for you!
Oww Sara, I'm glad you caught that before it got escalated. I've had that twice and yeah its really painful & it's not fun so I'm glad to see you're still strong. Take things easy alright. And I once stumbled on a website that recommended increased protein intake to combat OHSS. Its not medically proven so I don't know.
Sorry to hear about the oh.ss - but it doen not sound like you are in pain, and you caught it - so all good.
Yes, we are very close! 1 day really - that is crazy. I am slipping back into my paranoid state today, feeling worried and scared about my u/s. Reading about yours made me think perhaps I shoudl have gone in this week. Well can't turn back the clock so I best move on with it.
So you'll see a hb next week! Exciting!!
Post a Comment