Tuesday, March 3, 2009

First day back at work

Brynn and Neela are still best buds when it comes to tummy time or sleeping or just hanging out. I just hope it continues!


Yesterday was my first day back at work and I'm glad to have it under my belt. Sunday I spent the whole day cooking dinners for the week and packing a lunch and food for my breaks as if I was going to be gone for days on end. I guess I was a little over preparing. Then around 9PM I set the DVR to tape the 2 hour special of Brothers and Sisters and headed off to bed to try to catch some sleep. Around 11PM that night my friend's little sister came over to watch her so that we would have a restful night and not have to deal with her feeding schedule every few hours. She is an absolute life saver...night time nanny to the rescue! Plus Neela just adores her. I think I woke up every few hours from 1 o'clock on, but around 4:50 AM my alarm went off and I sprung out of bed. I got ready for the day and pumped just as I was headed out the door. My friend and Brynn were still fast asleep, but I was a little teary eyed leaving my girl behind. I know it'll just get easier. She's just been my partner in crime for almost 10 months since I've been off work, it was hard to leave her behind.

Once at work around 6:00 or so I found out what room I was in for the day and set my room up for my first case that started around 7. I was kind of in a hodge podge easy room in the outpatient room the first day - although no day is ever predictable in the OR. First case up was a crazy one...we did a tubal ligation on a 21 year old. Yes I just said a 21 year old. And I put my foot in mouth as I approached her all wide eyed and cheery saying, "So how many little ones do you have at home?" as I walked up to her stretcher in preop. She quickly replied, "None." Huh I thought...we're doing a tubal ligation on a 21 year old who has no children....certainly there must be some mistake I thought. But no...it was correct. I guess in order for it to be done she had to undergo psychological testing and a gamment of other tests. But still to say it disturbed me would be an understatement...it still leaves me uneasy. I think of myself at 21 and I'm no where near what I was even 8 years ago....so much has changed. But who am I to judge I suppose.

Even things such as charting and doing basic things took a bit longer than normal...kind of like brushing off the cobwebs I'm sure. Actually my Dansko shoes were a bit dusty when I put them back on so that part was actually true, LOL! Once again...time is of the essence I'm sure. I was able to go to our CRNA "call room" to pump 3 times yesterday on my 12 hour shift. Not too bad, although I'm sure sometimes it may dwindle down to twice a day on my longer days. It's just hard to actually get to the call room, set up everything and be back in 15 minutes, you know? But there is a recliner, a TV, and an outlet near a phone that is a pretty good setup...so other than the lack of time there is no complaints from me. I was able to call my mom a couple of times to see how Brynn was doing throughout the day. She took over at about 11AM from my friend so it's kind of like a joint operation....Brynn style!

The rest of the day I spent in cases where we took out a 33 year old's appendix, we put in an infusaport for a lady with cancer of the throat, and we repaired the elbow fracture of a 21 year old who was in a drunk driving accident. All in all things went okay. There were a few bumps in the road...and I felt a little rusty. But at the end of the day I didn't cause any harm and we all walked away okay, LOL! Just kidding of course. But no on a serious note I was paired up with another CRNA just to have as back up support since I had been off so long...and I needed minimal assistance so that made me feel good.

Going home that night I felt tired, sore, and my legs ached....it'll take me awhile to get back in the swing of things. But I was refreshed all at the same time. I could still do my job after being off for almost a year. Part of the whole pregnancy bedrest has left me feeling like there was nothing to me as a person other than the pregnant chick with a history of fertility issues who had a bumpy pregnancy and recovery. It was good to get back to part of my former "other" self. It was a day that involved some learning curve for everyone I'm sure...from my mom and dad who watched her while I was at work, to my husband who had to take care of her by himself when getting off of his engineering job, to me getting home at 8PM that night from being gone at 5:30AM. I'm glad I only have one long day a week...I missed my little girl too much. Basically I know I'm blessed to have the best of both worlds...working 2 days a week while my mom or friend watches her, working 20 hours a week doing something I love, and being home 5 days with my little bambino. I almost feel guily saying that...but I am one lucky girl. I have been so blessed. Almost as if I don't deserve it.

I don't want to forget to say thank you to someone else who has been such a support to us along the way. Meredith at a Uterus Divided has been like a twin to me. Her and I both have the goofy uterine abnormality, infertility and then pregnancy bedrest. While pregnant with Brynn her and I would text back and forth and email daily, sometimes at 4AM. She was my sounding board...a girl who kept me sane along the way and honestly knew me better than most people who had known me for years. She truly "got me" and got what we were going through because we were going through it together. I know mommyhood and our jobs will keep us busy, but she is one girl whom I truly believe I could not had gotten through the last few months without. She is so caring, unselfish, and the true meaning of the word "giving." Giving to me, others who need it, and giving of herself totally to her son. She is a hard act to follow. She is truly one of the good ones.

26 comments:

admin said...

WOW! Thanks for the thanks... I feel so honored. But, right back at you babe! You rock!

So glad to hear your first day back went well. It is so hard to be 2 places at once. When I am working, I just can't wait to get home to my boy! I am sure you feel the same, despite loving your job.
xo
m

Stephanie said...

I'm glad to see that your first day back went smoothly. It's great that you have such an amazing support system to help you make the transition smoothly. :)

Becca Daws said...

Glad you had a good first day back. I know that was hard leaving your girl. It's so wonderful that you have such a huge support network!

Soapchick said...

Sounds like a great first day back! I'm so happy for you. Yes it will take a while for your body and heart to adjust, but it will be good for you to be in the working world!

Meghan said...

Glad your first day back went well. Finding time to pump is by far the hardest part. I found that people say they understand and encourage it, but then schedule meetings at those times or other things.

Isn't coming home the best though? It's seriously what I look forward to all day ;)

Nicole O'Dell said...

I'm so glad that everything went so well and that you've got that first day behind you. You do have a great schedule! Like you said, the best of both worlds. Good for yoU!

nancy said...

Great day back at work. I'm looking forward to it myself and I've only been off for 7 weeks. How long has it been since you left?

Tara said...

It's great to hear that your first day back went well. I'm sure it feels good to get back out into the world.

Heather Moore said...

So glad your first day back went well! I was thinking about you and Brynn.

You're right, Meredith does rock!

I met another Brynn today. Only other little one I "know" other than yours with the name.

Hope each day gets easier (back to work), Sara!

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm glad it went so well!

I love those pictures of Brynn and Neela. They are just so cute.

kaaron said...

So glad to hear it went well! I had a delayed reaction: first week was great, the next was harder. 2days a week is wonderful!

That's nutters about the 21 y.o. w/ the btl.

battynurse said...

So glad your first day back at work went well. That's always nice when you've been off for a while. Hope things continue to do so.
I would have been a bit weirded out by the 21 yo tubal too. So much changes in your life.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

What a great post, so glad things went well on your first day back to work. Yeah for night nannies, grandmas, and Daddy. You are so lucky and so is Brynn and J. Neela too!
Yeah for Meredith and her family!, nothing like a compadre in the dark of night.
Pumping gets faster, especially if you have an extra collection setup.

AwkwardMoments said...

I am glad that you are so blessed. I bet the people in your life feel like they are the ones blessed by you and brynn.

YAH for getthing through the first day of work

Jesus, My Best Friend said...

glad things have went well. thanks for your Prayers. i definitely need them right now. i haven't a clue why this didn't work this month but i know God will send my baby when He feels it is best! thanks for being a good friend who actually "gets" what this UU stuff is all about :D

Carrie27 said...

The 21 year old case is very weird. The girl opted for this procedure, right? There weren't any problems that forced her to do it?

I'm glad your first day went so smoothly. I'm sure it was hard to go from a much more relaxed day to non-stop craziness. I'm sure Miss Brynn will be getting extra hugs and kisses today.

Jen said...

Congrats on your back to work day! I also work 2 days a week and feel like it's a perfect fit! It's all about keeping yourself organized and one step ahead (most of the time). Brynn is so adorable!

A - said...

Savannah was wearing that exact outfit last night! :)

So glad your first day back to work went smoothly. It will get easier - and I promise that Brynn will welcome you home with a huge smile when you finish work each day. Makes it all worth it!

Tracy said...

Sorry I've been so MIA! As the twins get more active, I find I have less time! Go figure. Just wanted to pop on to say hi, and let you know that pic is adorable!

Debz said...

I'm so glad you had a great first day back. That first one can be tricky, but now you got that out of the way.
You really do have a great setup there that allows you to work while still having people you love and trust take care of Brynn. That's so important and I'm sure it's a big reason your transition was so seamless.
I hope for only good, no great things for you and your family going forward. Well ialso hope for more pictures, but that's purely selfish ;)

Heather said...

Congratulations on your first day back to work! The first day is always the hardest and especially considering how long you had to be out! And over-planning for it is for the best.

Jill said...

I have never seen a dog so affectionate towards a baby before. Neela is as precious as Brynn! :)

It's good to hear that your first day back went smoothly and that you remembered how to do your job. I can only imagine, being gone for that long and having to go back and remember everything!

You are so blessed and you deserve every bit of it.

((HUGS))

Photogrl said...

Brynn and Neela are just SO cute together!

Congrats on a pretty smooth first day back to work, too.

Mary said...

Hey Sara! I'm so happy that things went okay with you going back to work. Brynn and Neela are still the cutest bopsie twins ever. I love it that they sleep like that:)
That is bizarre about the 21 year old girl with the tubal. At 21 I might have said that I never wanted to have kids either, things sure do change. Crazy.

I so glad that you and the family are doing well.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your first day at work was awesome! See, we all knew you'd hop right back into the swing of things...just like riding a bike!

The picture is adorable!

Molly said...

Hi there! My name is Molly and I am a friend of Heather Moore's. I also have UU and am a mother of a 13-month old. I would love to chat sometime if you want to email me at goodgolly79@gmail.com. Your daughter is adorable!