Monday, June 16, 2008

15 weeks



Spot and I have both spent another week together! To celebrate, I thought I'd share a 15 week belly picture with all of you. Everything I read explains that although I've been a complete lazy couch potato and not being really productive at much of anything these days, Spot has been really busy again this week. Here is a little of what I've found:

* Baby is now over 4 inches (10cm) long
* and weighs about 2.5 ounces (75 grams).
* He or she can move its arms and make a fist.
* Fingernails and toenails are present.
* Baby's skin is still very thin.

Your baby's legs have grown longer than the arms and the body is now longer than the head. The bone and marrow that make up your baby's skeletal system are continuing to develop this week. The bones and muscles are continuing to grow. You may begin to feel some fluttering movements as baby kicks, twists and turns; but don't panic if you don't feel movement yet.

Their ears are nearly in position, and the three tiny bones in his middle ear have begun to harden. By the end of the week, the roof of your baby's mouth will be completely formed. The fetus has an adult's taste buds and may be able to savor the mother's meals. The baby's thin skin is covered with ultra fine, downy hair that usually disappears before birth.

The fetal crown to rump length by this week of pregnancy is 4 to 4.5 inches (100 to 115mm). The fetus weighs about 2.5 ounces (75g). It's close to the size of a softball.


Now that Spot can taste, I'm hoping that he or she is okay with my choice of Mexican food like 5 days a week! If not, at least Spot has the ability to make a fist (at last) in protest, so I guess I'm being too unfair :-) I have to admit, although we've already been through so much with Spot, sometimes it's still hard to believe that there is actually a baby growing in there. It all seems a bit surreal. I am so desperately waiting to feel some movement for the first time, because I think that little experience will seal the deal for me. I may finally believe that this is all really happening after all these years.

This week has some promise to be a bit better from the last three. As you know, since my surgery I've been on couch arrest. My doctor said that as long as I spend most of the day laying down my left side I can move around my house a bit more, for now (I have another appt in less than a week.) Meaning, I can make dinner for a short while, or sit up and fold some laundry. Basically as long as I spend 90% of everyday with my feet up higher than my head to take pressure of my cervix, I can spend the other 10% moving around my house. My husband calls this going from couch arrest to house arrest :-) Somebody forgot to give me a cute little striped outfit though. I think the least that they could have done was give me a new outfit to wear that resembled zebra stripes, I've been jipped! But thankfully no one gave me one of those more modern day prison outfits that are bright orange, ugh! No one looks good in orange, didn't the prison department get that fashion memo? Certainly not. Orange will never be the new pink.

We spent Father's Day quietly at our house with my family and my husband's parents. I felt badly putting a damper on the holiday weekend, but our families came to us since I was unable to travel out. My husband's parents came up from Ohio and spent Sunday with us, while my parents, grandparents, and two of my nephews joined us all for brunch. It was so nice to have everyone together. Funny how little things I used to take for granted like a family get together, takes on a whole new meaning when you're somewhat restricted as to who you are able to see and where you can go.

I've learned some things already with transitioning from the horizontal couch life to visiting the rest of the world as a vertical person. First of all, get up slowly after lying down for long periods, because you will be very dizzy. Second, after lying down for almost three weeks except for showering and using the bathroom you get very weak. While I used to easily run 5 miles a day a few months ago, now being on my feet for more than 5 minutes leaves me exhausted and sometimes winded. Lastly, I used to always sit with my legs crossed (politically incorrectly called "indian style" as we called it as kids.) Well, this morning I was watching some TV and found myself shifting to this position without realizing it. I was quickly jolted back to reality by the sharp tug followed by pain that I felt in my oh so private lady parts down below. Yes, I forgot I had a cerclage and my cervix stitched shut with suture still in place. Moving your legs in certain common positions will certainly remain uncomfortable and a big "no no" until this is removed. How quickly I had forgotten! For the next hour I felt enough pressure down there from my little stunt that I felt like I was going to have a bowel movement out my lady end, fun times. I will not be doing that anytime soon, I promise!

Well, I hope everybody had a great and restful weekend. I've been a bad commenter lately because our internet has been down more than it has been up. Storms have continued to pass through our area and disrupt things. My friend who lives in Troy still is without power and has been so for more than a week, ouch! But today, things seem to be running in the internet department, so I'm going to catch up on things. I'm already also getting excited to chose what to make for dinner tonight. Thank you for your endless support, it has meant so much to me during a not so easy time. It's nice knowing that if I have to sit and just wait, at least I'm not doing it alone. Hold on Spot, hang in there kiddo.

35 comments:

Geohde said...

Really crossing my fingers that you and Spot get solidly bored together on that couch for many months to come. How does 15 trimesters sound?? :)

Oh, and you look fantastic in your piccy- I looked like a whale at 15 weeks....my husband kindly upgraded me to walrus status just yesterday though. :(

J

CJ said...

OMG!! You are so tiny!! Wow!! I wonder what I will look like with 2 babies at 15 weeks!

Debz said...

Ouchie! That'll be a lesson you wont soon forget,I'm sure. Not if it is gonna cause you to feel as though you will have a bowel movement out of your "lady parts" - not good!
You and Spot be sure to behave - no more than 10% Miss Thang.
Here's hoping you get to the some movement soon. Oooohhh, it's all very exciting!

Mazzy said...

Well, for no activity you are still a tiny thing!
Bedrest has to be so hard, but I guess it's obviously totally and completely worth every lousy second, right?
*hugs*

Tracy said...

Nope, you are definitely not alone!!!

BE CAREFUL! No more sitting "indian style" or any other style besides legs elevated.

I heart Mexican food, too. :)

Anonymous said...

your belly is still so slim and nice :( awww but what awaits ou in a few weeks is an over night pop out ha ha. I remember that when I was in shape with Anders. it was overnight and it was shocking. keep up the good work and no more "indian style"!!

Aunt Becky said...

You look gorgeous. And Spot? YOU STAY PUT! Glad all is going well.

Yetty said...

your belly shot looks so good I hope I look that trim when I'm in your shoes. Yea the blood rushing out of your head syndrome comes to life :)

JW Moxie said...

I'm trying to figure out where you have your softball-sized Spot hidden. I can definitely see growth from your last belly pic to now, though!

Even though you're still down for most of the day, I bet that 10% that you do get feels almost like a mini-vacation each day. So glad to hear from you! I hope your internet behaves so I won't start getting worried when I go a couple of days without hearing from you!

Chastity said...

You look great! I'm so happy to hear that you and Spot are still holding strong and that all is well!!

Jen said...

Congrats on 15 weeks, I know how hard it is to be on house/couch arrest, it's day to day. Do you like to read? I just read, get some good books to keep your mind occupied, there's only so much daytime tv a gal can handle. My favorite author is Jude Devereax, I love anything by her! A knight in shining armour and the summerhouse of favorites's.

HereWeGoAJen said...

You look terrific! Congratulations on fifteen weeks, that is awesome!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Your belly looks wonderful. Happy Belated Father's Day to your DH. Congrats on the graduation to house arrest and bet you look adorable in either jail house orange or stripes. Take good care and they call it "pretzel style", notIndian style at the elementary schools now, ah, so politically correct. ;oD I'm delighted Spot and Mrs.C are snuggling in, best wishes on your next appointment and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

SAHW said...

Glad you've moved up from couch arrest. :) But do continue to take it easy on yourself so you don't hurt like you did with your "indian style" stunt. :)

Anonymous said...

Every week is definitely an accomplishment.

I'm not on as strict bedrest as you are, but I do notice as well how quickly I become exhausted and winded.

I'm glad the families came to visit you all to make it so you could still enjoy the holiday.

kaaron said...

Glad you were able to enjoy Father's Day, even if they had to come to you.

I, too, am wondering where you are hiding the softball-sized Spot! I'm turning into a whale!

Soapchick said...

Yeah for 15 weeks! I'm so happy you are doing well, just keep taking it easy.

Your belly is totally flat - maybe spot is stretching your uterus inwards - toward your spine?

Rachel said...

I hope you are surviving bedrest OK. Congratulations on 15 weeks, you look great!

2weeks2much said...

I'm sure Spot is enjoying the quiet resting that you are confined to. Hang in there!

battynurse said...

So glad that you can start moving around a bit more now. That must be nice.
And yes, you do look fantastic in your belly pic. Can I say that I've had fantasies about being that skinny?

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

I got put on couch arrest for 4 more weeks myself! We need to find ways to entertain one another. ;)

While I feel so bad that you were in pain, the description of the "indian style" incident had giggling.

Lost in Space said...

Congrats on 15 weeks. You look so cute. I'm glad you are able to move around a little even if it is at home. You are doing great!!

Thanks for your help with my belly injection nightmare. Lupron may have to go in the thigh tonight.

Kristen said...

What a sweet little belly! At 5'1, I doubt I'll be so lucky when we get pregnant. I'll probably look 6 months along-haha :)

admin said...

Geeeez - You are so tiny!! You look great really - I look like I have a beer gut.

Looking forward to hearing about yor check up this week. I have my first cervical check on thursday (I canceled last week due to unbearable heat wave.) I am hoping your numbers will come back in the positive - with some serious lengthening! Your deserve it after being drafted to the couch for so long. You must be exhausted with all of your resting.

xo
Meredith

Alison said...

You are going to be the cutest pregnant lady! You are so tiny right now that by the time you really show it will be all baby and cute as a button!

K @ ourboxofrain said...

You look amazing at fifteen weeks! Congrats!

I hope you and Spot enjoy the down time on the couch -- and the 10% of your time you're allowed to be up and about. And no more sitting cross-legged! That sounds thoroughly awful.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on 15 weeks! Be careful now, don't go cooking a five course meal or anything! Step outside and get some sunshine, it'll make you feel lots better now that you can move about a bit.

Sunny said...

Congrats on another week! You look great. Good luck keeping yourself occupied... now's the time to get Netflix, if you don't have it yet. You'll want it when the baby comes anyway. :)

Oh, and if you plan to nurse the baby when s/he's born, keep up the spicy food so s/he gets used to it now. :)

Debz said...

I have tagged you. Come check it out and please dont hate me ;)

AwkwardMoments said...

Happy 15 weeks!

Becca Daws said...

Thanks for you sweet comment. These UU's are so unpredictable, aren't they? There's just no rhyme or reason to how they end up behaving.

You look great! I think about you all the time and often pray for you. You have such an amazing attitude, and while I know you have tough days, I truly believe your positive outlook is only going to help Spot.

Lots of hugs!!

A - said...

Happy 15 weeks! :) :) :)

LOL at the Mexican food... I have had a pretty similar diet the past few weeks.

So glad to hear that you have been taking it easy and taking care of your cervix. Spot sounds like s/he is doing great! Onward to 16 weeks.

Sharon LaMothe said...

Hey there! Just a note from a NCLMer and trying to get caught up (Even tho I was late to sign up for the list!) Please visit my blog today if you have a chance as I am trying to make people aware of Bone Marrow Donation...yes I know, my site is mostly about Surrogacy but you know how THAT goes!

Loved your belly shot!! CONGRATS! I hope to visit again when I get back from Vacation!
Hugs
Sharon
http://infertilityanswers.typepad.com/surrogacy_101/

Anonymous said...

Four inches seems so big! Wow, you've got a real person in there!! That is amazing. I am so excited for you and so glad you are hanging in there. You have been through so much. Just yay!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You are TINY!!! Wow! I can only hope to look that good one day :)