Sunday, February 24, 2008

Moving forward slowly but surely

Things are starting to move forward slowly. My husband is back from China...YAY! I spent the week he was gone sleeping with the dog. Neela is good company, but not quite that good of company. I had my for formal IVF appointment last week. Had all my lab work, cultures and what not. Things are moving along. I'm still on the birth control pill. I have my mock transfer this Thursday. Guess this involves a thin cathetar, thinner than the ones used for my IUI's, and more flexible. I guess sometimes there is problems with using this cathetar in certain people's cervix where it is then hard to measure a person's uterus and pass this ultra flexible cathetar. So as long as they are able to pass this cathetar through my cervix...life is good. Let's keep our fingers crossed! My husband is coming along and we'll sign all our consent forms and paperwork. I should start my Lupron shots next Saturday. And this Thursday I'll find out what stimulation meds I'll be on for sure when I start my next period. If all things go as planned our retrieval looks like it'll be around Easter weekend. That's less than a month away!

I don't know anyone who has taken Lupron before. For all of you out there who have...is it pretty uneventful? I was shocked and pleasantly suprised yesterday when I was getting my prescription filled for it. Usually my insurance and my husband's cover nothing when it comes to fertility meds. Amazingly, my husband's covered my Lupron! Even the pharmacist was shocked. Hey...I'll take anything that I can get. Saving several hundreds of dollars brings a smile to a girl's face. Small victories wherever they may happen!

On another happy note. I had a great massage yesterday. I used up a gift card that my mother in law had gotten us last year. The girl at the place did a good job. I feel like a wet noodle...and silly putty! We're going out to eat with my parents in a little bit...should be nice. We're trying a new tavern nearby that have several cool dishes like lobster mac and cheese and other unusual finds. Can't wait!

Tomorrow I get my car fixed at the nearby dealership. There seems to be a problem with the fuel tank sensor. The needle on my car goes between empty and full several times a day. Oh well..good thing it's a lease and everything is covered. The only saving grace is that I'll be stuck at home for a day without a car...guess I have no excuse not to clean out those closets now and have a few extra bags for trash day on Tues!

13 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I love it when insurance covers things! And I want to go out to dinner too!

Soapchick said...

Glad your husband got back from China! Mine just got back last night after being in France for 2.5 weeks.....just in time for me to fly to Dallas tomorrow morning! haha.

Re: Lupron. I was on the mega dose lupron shot, a one-timer during my last IVF, but unfortunately it suppressed me too much and that is why I only had 5 measely follicles which produced only 2 good eggs. My new RE does not use lupron. I am hoping since you are on a different protocol (mini lupron shots daily instead of the one mega shot I got), you will not be suppressed "too much"....yes the lupron is supposed to suppress so you don't ovulate, but not so much that it reduces your antral follicle count. Okay...I'm rambling, but to answer your question - I had no side effects from the lupron or any of my stims.

Meghan said...

Lobster mac and cheese...that sounds AMAZING!

And so glad your insurance covered the lupron...what a great surprise. Good luck with it!

Soapchick said...

Hi Sara - I think Melissa, another blogger is hoping to organize an IFers Detroit metro meeting sometime in May. In the meantime I tried to email you at the email address you gave me, but I must have it wrong because it didn't go through. I had bauman.sara@comcast.net. Mine is soapchick@comcast.net

My husband likes France but he always goes there in the winter, to these little tiny towns in the middle of nowhere. He said his hotel room was about the size of our bathroom, so he was happy to get home. Now he needs to adjust to the time zone. He's been sleeping on the couch since 4pm and I can't wake him up....he's screwed, I know he'll wake up at 11pm and not be able to go back to sleep.

AwkwardMoments said...

Oh YAH for your insurance!! And your hubby is home!

I bet that massage felt fantabulous!

kaaron said...

I think those insurance savings would be well spent on some new shoes from Nordstrom. What do you think? ;)

You must be really happy to see that hubby of yours. And be moving along with baby-making!

KH99 said...

I used lupron for my FET cycle, and other than some headaches, I think it was uneventful. Glad your husband is back! It's amazing how quickly time moves when you are cycling.

Anonymous said...

I had a similar question about Lupron, though used for a different treatment. I am not surprised your insurance covers it - Lupron is also used for other non-fertility related treatments, including some male medical issues. Not that insurance companies are masogynistic - but if it can be used for guys, it generally is covered.

Anyway - got off my train of thought - feel free to hop over to my blog and see some of the comments I got there re: the Lupron. You can find the comments at the end of my posts on Feb 18th & 19th.

Just click on my name and it will take you there.

Good luck! I get my first shot sometime in the next week too. We could be lupron buddies? :0)

Yetty said...

i hope your experience with lupron is much better than mine. It turned me into a raging lunatic & I'm not speaking figuratively. My fuse was so short, it was almost non-existent & I was always in a bad mood. but then again, maybe that was just the stress of my 1st(?) ivf cycle telling on me

Anonymous said...

Lupron gave me headaches and a very quick temper, but that was it for me. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I was on lupron for both my IVF and my FET. I had a mild headache most of the time (word of warning...I suffer from migraines so I can't promise that my definition of mild and yours will be the same!)

Some of the injections left me with a small itchy bump for a short period of time, but they usually went away in about 20 minutes. No one knows what was causing that.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you !

JenniferW said...

Hi Sara.
No negative side effects from lupron.
Hope the first time's a charm!
Jennifer