
I just wanted to share a picture of myself enjoying my latest hobby. It's something I try to squeeze into my schedule at least once or twice a week. In fact, I was thinking as a side business perhaps I should look into designing a more comfortable table or chair to enjoy the experience in. Perhaps a comfy recliner type chair that allowed you to "put your feet up" for the exhilarating experience? I wonder if any infertility patients or bleeding first trimester pregnant women have contacted La.zy Boy for their input. Here's me enjoying that new hobby at that maternal fetal medicine (MFM) office before our appointment with my peri last week. I can't believe I was missing out on this one of a kind experience my whole life before fertility treatments. So many women out there don't know what they're missing (cold gel, the dildo cam...ahh the memories we'll have :-) Shhhh, don't let the cat out of the bag or else there will be a run on transvaginal ultrasounds at a RE's or MFM office near you, leaving none for the rest of us!
When I was at my OB doctor's office yesterday, he shared with me the dictation notes from the MFM appointment last week that the peri had written. Most dealt with the complications possible for person with a unicornuate uterus during pregnancy. I always appreciate it when my doctor shares my actual chart with me so that we are completely on the same page, including notes from a consult appointment he referred me to. I have to love the last line summary of the notes written by my peri "in summary, discussed with patient (me) issues of a unicornuate uterus such as preterm labor, most likely breech presentation, IUGR, uterine rupture, incomptent cervix and other complications likely to occur in at least greater than 50% of each pregnancy. Hmmmm, my first honest reaction....YIKES! Or perhaps, what the f--k! Then I thought, what the heck...lets throw a complete previa in the mix! But to be honest, it's not something I didn't somewhat know before. I think it just hit home a little more now that I'm actually pregnant and saw it in a dictation note from a respected physician.
Sometimes medical lingo gets thrown around at appointments that my husband attends, leaving me to later when we get home find a website that explains the appointment in clearer terms. My husband is probably one of the smartest people I know, but that's one of the downfalls of me going to physicians I work with, also as a patient. Often at appoinments they skip over some things that they would explain to everyone else and my husband is left going, "huh?" I can only imagine it's how I feel when he comes home from work spouting off facts about telematics, infotanment equipment and things more involved than 802.11. ALthough, I'm proud to say I finally understand binary numbers after all these years, something he's quite proud of teaching me :-)
So anyways when looking for so additional information for my husband, I found this and I thought this website summarized problems with a unicornuate uterus well.
What effect do uterine abnormalities have?
A unicornuate uterus (a womb with one 'horn') happens when the tissue that forms the womb does not develop properly. This is a very rare condition. A unicornuate uterus is just half the size of a normal womb and the woman has only one fallopian tube. However, she usually has two ovaries. Often there is a simultaneous abnormality of the kidneys, such as one kidney instead of two, diagnosable by abdominal ultrasound or, more specifically, by a special kidney x-ray study called an intravenous pyelogram.
On fertility: Women with a unicornuate uterus may have difficulties conceiving, because they have only one fallopian tube. However, pregnancy in women with this condition is far from unknown. In general, uterine abnormalities do not prevent a woman from getting pregnant, but they may make it more difficult for her to carry a baby for the full nine months of pregnancy.
On pregnancy: Women with uterine abnormalities, particularly unicornate uterus, are more likely to have complications during pregnancy or delivery, whether the baby was conceived spontaneously or by Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), compared with women with normal shaped uteri.
If the uterus is an unusual shape, many babies will settle into the breech position rather than into the normal head-down position. If you are expecting a breech baby you will be offered a caesarean because this is currently considered the safest way for the baby to be born.
If you have a unicornuate or bicornuate uterus you may go into premature labour because there comes a point where there simply isn't enough room for the baby to grow any more, and over-stretching of the womb triggers labour. Alternatively, the cervix (neck) of an abnormally shaped womb may not be strong enough to keep the baby inside and it opens too early and lets the baby out. This is called a weak cervix, sometimes called an "incompetent cervix" and it tends to be a problem for women with an abnormally shaped uterus who are expecting their first baby. The more pregnancies you have, the less of a problem it tends to be.
Sorry that this is truly a boring post, I know. It even has me yawning! Well, my bleeding actually looks like it is trying to transition to the red spotting I am more comfortable with. My OB wants me to continue the progesterone through week 12 now instead of only week 10 like previously planned due to the bleeding. Supposedly the placenta should be taking over some of that function by now, but we're continuing those extra two weeks just to be safe.
I have a question for anyone who might be able to help, so please pass it along if you would be so kind. It deals with progesterone shots at 16ish weeks. Has anyone used it at this point? My OB said that if after I stop the progesterone after 12 weeks I still have a lot of cramping and bleeding, then we'll be giving me a once a week progesterone shot to "keep my uterus quiet" and hopefully decrease the likelihood of future problems. I need to clarify the purpose of this. I understand the smooth muscle relaxant property of the drug, but I'm unclear of it's use at this particular point in the pregnancy. Is the progesterone to prevent the likelihood of preterm labor? Or is it to decrease bleeding caused by a uterus contracting too soon? Is the once a week shot continued all the way through the remaining portion of the pregnancy? Thanks in advance for you help. If you've used it before at that point, I'd love to hear why they put you on it and how long you took it for.
I hope that my uterus decides to continue to behave. I think it should learn a lesson or two from "A uterus divided". Her poor uterus gave her a run for her money this weekend as well, but is currently behaving and not causing any more bleeding. So go over and wish her a better week ahead if you get a chance. Gosh this was too long of a post. Word vomit tends to be a downfall of mine these days...sorry.

27 comments:
I hope your uterus behaves too. You don't need any more things to think about right now. Wishing you lots of luck!
I was on the progesterone injections twice daily through week 12 during this pregnancy. It was mainly to keep the bleeding away...which it did, sort of (it kept away new bleeding for the most part, but I still had lots of spotting).
However, I was just at my high risk doctor's office last week, and they asked me to participate in a medical research study about progesterone and it's effect on preventing pre-term labor. So...there must be some truth to that. I chose not to participate in that study simply because my poor husband is so sick of giving me the injections every single day, and the thought of telling him he had to start it again and do it for the remainder of this pregnancy...well, I didn't even want to see the look on his face.
I love the picture of your new hobby! I actually (usually) prefer the transvaginal ultrasounds because you don't have to have the full bladder. Maybe it is just me, but I don't find them very uncomfortable at all. Usually the abominal ultrasounds are much worse.
http://hopeandfaith3.blogspot.com/
and my friend i gave you her email address was on progesterone shot through her pregnancy to calm the uterus. ASk away!
you will be beggin for those transvag u/s s when you get your first cervix check. Man I hated the constant u/s s -- but when my OB had to check my cervix later on MY OH MY !! CRAP!!!!!!! Now that gives you something to look forward to doesn't it...... I know I know I am such an inspiration haha == sam
I actually loved your post on the UU issues. :-)
I remember the RE telling me that I had about a 50/50 shot of being "one of the lucky ones" with a UU. It scared (and still scares) me to death.
I hear you on the t/v ultrasounds! I have my NT scan today and I think I might actually get a t/a one for the first time! Who knew they actually still do those? ;-) Oh but wait, the doctor has to check my cervix too which is t/v. We're never going to get away from these things!
Hoping that the PP moves and your bleeding stops and that little UU behaves!
I can't answer your questions but I wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and praying that your uterus finally starts to behave!
I don't think it was a boring post...I thought it was very informative!
What's up with your MFM not using a gel warmer? Not cool.
Sara, I'm happy to share my experience with some of the same kind of things. I was on the pio at home until 12 weeks, then went on P2 or sometimes referred to as P17 shots once a week at teh dr's office starting at week 16. They started me on it due to having started ptl at 26 weeks with the twins last time. They told me they have 100% success with stopping ptl using the p17 and sometimes brethene (which I've been on since about week 20). Neither one really had side effects that were bothersome. I do also feel contractions on a regular basis. Most of them not uncomfortable, but sometimes they were. AAt this point I would think that you are not contracting, however the contractions can feel like intense cramping. I would call in if I started having contractions close together and bothersome I called the dr, they sent me to triage, I got evaluated and never in the many times I went in was I dialated. Truthfully, I am shocked and surprised that I'm 36w and still hanging on. Keep asking questions of your dr's and they will guide you in the right direction. Ask about the p17 though, it's done wonders for me.
You look so beautiful in that picture!!
You have a lot of things to think about right now, but I would say the best thing to do is just focus on that beautiful little "spot" growing inside of you and remember that as long as he/she arrives here safely then the rest is just circumstance.
*hugs and love*
Just thought I'd drop a comment to say I care. I have no idea about PIO shots in pregnancy but I hope you get some good info from Farah's friend
I didn't have the progesterone shots but I know a few people on the Mullerian Anomalies yahoo group did--you should post/search there. It's actually 17-hydroxyprogesterone, or 17OHP (to help you with Googling!)--not sure if that's the same thing as the PIO you get with ART. I think some research has shown that it's effective in preventing preterm labor, so that would be the purpose for you after the first trimester. Hope that helps!
Ah, it's my boyfriend the dildo cam! Hee. Unfortunately, I have no answers for you regarding the Progesterone, as I am stopping mine tomorrow, but I'll let you know what my doctor says next week (I'll be asking as well). Hope your uterus continues to be obedient!
Look how cute you are!
Sometimes I think the more you know the worse your mind can mess with you. :) Those are some scary things to ponder ... for now, though, you're pregnant and doing quite well. I am hopeful that your uterus will continue to behave :) Keep on keepin' on!
My understanding is that progesterone supplementation has been shown in trials to derease spontaneous uterine activity and in women who have had pre-term labour before (singletons, no mullerian variations) decrease the recurrence by up to 50%.
I think there's a lot of trials coming out now about the generalisation to multiple preg and other situations, but either way it's unlikely to hurt and may help. Tocolytics such as terbutaline and nifedipine, on the other hand, do not really have the evidence other than as a short term strategy (usually to give steroids for lung maturation),
J
Cute picture!
Behave uterus behave!!!! Love the picture , you look radiant
Gotta love the q weekly visits with the dildo cam. At least you get to take a peak at Spot each time :) I wanted to tell you that a friend's sister has a gorgeous little boy and is currently 20 weeks pregnant with her second, and she has a bicornuate uterus. She didn't have any complications carrying her son in the unicornuate side of her uterus, and I'm praying the same thing goes for you! I know it's anecdotal, but sometimes I find positive stories uplifting.
I would be all for a recliner instead of the stupid "table" they put us on. Perhaps we could patent something...
Thansk for you kind words on my blog !!!
Oh, what a beautiful picture! I can put your face with your name! :)
Keep growing baby Spot!
The RE I currently see has these pretty cool ultrasound chairs, although they are not fuzzy like Lazy Boys, they are much better that the tables. They tilt back and the bottom drops away so they can do the u/s. I don't know anything about the progesterone, hopefully someone can help you. Great picture!
Thanks for dropping by with your sweet comment--I really appreciated it. I get so excited each time I come back here and see that all is still going okay. You look amazingly happy (and adorable) in your picture with the wand, which is quite impressive (the happy part; i'm assuming the adorable part is par for the course). I don't know exactly what the progesterone is supposed to do, so I'm sorry I can't help you there. I'm keeping you in my thoughts, Sara!!
Yes, I have the same hobby! Gotta love the transvag. U/S! Looking forward to it again in July when we start IVF #2!
I am hoping and praying that all goes well with you too. It sounds like your dr. is keeping a close eye on you. Take it easy and don't worry. Everything will be just fine!
And I liked your post on UU issues. I didn't know much about it, but I feel more informed now :)
Will be checking back soon! Thanks for your encouraging posts on my blog. They really make me smile!
You look so cute! You make me miss my old friend, Transvag Ultrasound. Oh, the fun we had.
I had 3 failed natural pregnancies (all ended around 8-10 weeks) for which I was given Prometrium, I think it's called--the progesterone pills that you take as a suppository. Yuck.
When we finally went to IVF, progesterone in oil shots (PIO) were prescribed for the first 6-8 weeks. The doctor told me after that time that I could stop taking them but I was too afraid that I'd start bleeding and lose the baby. I begged him to let me continue the shots up to 12 weeks, which he did. He said it certainly wouldn't hurt but was probably not necessary.
I did one shot every night. They require the longer 1 1/2 inch muscle needle, but after a few weeks I was giving them to myself. It's a bit painful and messy as you have to break a glass vial for each shot, and the PIO really stinks to high heaven, but seriously, I am NOT complaining! I would have shot it into my eyes if I had to. I did bleed some during the first couple of weeks of pregnancy but it stopped and I didn't have any episodes after that and went on to have a healthy baby at 37 weeks (a little early but not considered premature or high-risk at that point).
Was it the progesterone? No one can be sure. I do know that if I ever do in vitro again I would for sure do the PIO shots for the first 12 weeks just like before.
What a great picture of you. I hope things continue to move along well and that the bleeding stays to a minimum.
Hey girl. No progesterone advise from here - just wanted to check in. I have been away for a few days in a place where I had no cell phone reception let alone i=an internet connection. I'll be updating this weekend after I spend some QT with the hub.
Glad to hear that your bleeding has transitioned to just spots, but damn I wish it would just stop. Yes, there is a lot of risk with your unicorn, but a chance everything will be A OK. My thought is your are paying the price in stress through trimester one so that two and three can be calm. I am keeping my fingers super crossed for that scenario. Placenta migrated, cervix hold strong, little spot has plenty of room to grow...
xoxo
Meredith
Post a Comment