Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yes Mr. High Risk OB, I am now 30.



Brynn has been into mimicking everything we do lately. When I pull out my new cordless vac she runs to grab her toy vacuum and follows along behind me. Since we no longer have a cleaning lady and since she is so gangbuster about cleaning...perhaps I should invest in an actual working vacuum for Brynn to "play with" aka be my child cleaning slave? Just kidding :-) Do you think people would frown on that? Is 20 months too young to clean? I guess so..maybe in a few years :-)

Today I woke up, packed Brynn in the car and headed south to my parents house. I dropped Brynn off so that they could watch her while I went to my 9:30 appointment with my perinatologist. This was the same peri that co-managed my pregnancy with Brynn, and he is quite the joking type. Before we discussed how future pregnancies would be managed he asked a few questions about our recent miscarriage, how many embryos we were planning on transferring on our upcoming FET, and my current age. Before I could answer, he blurted out "Well, it shows here you're 30." Yup Mr High Risk OB...as of this past Tuesday I am now officially 30. I asked him, "Does that change anything?" His response was well...not really...just that I was a little closer to "advanced maternal age." At 30? What the heck? He then of course smiled and said that was his way of saying a belated happy birthday - and that he was just kidding. I smiled back and told him that saying phrases like that is not exactly a way to get along with the ladies. He just has an odd quirky sense of old man humor so I know he truly thought he was funny :-)

But for the record....30 is not that close to advanced maternal age or AMA as they put it on the charts up in L & D. (labor and delivery). At least I say so. And while I'm on the topic I think whoever came up with that label "advanced maternal age" ought to be shot. What do you think?

My meeting with the peri went well, about what I expected it to be. He asked to see pictures of Brynn aka the "vasa previa miracle" as he refers to her. I proudly whipped out a few to show him. He discussed the following:

- progesterone taken through the first trimester
- scans to monitor for IUGR
- a cerclage to be placed around week 13 (McDonald vs Shirodkar)
- weekly cervical checks starting around week 10 via internal exam and serial ultrasounds.
- progesterone IM shots around week 16
- steroid shots around week 24 (viability)
- Zofran, Reglan and other options for nausea - vomiting if or when it occurs
- being followed by a GI doctor for hyperemisis and gastritis if those two ugly sisters rear their head again.
- the addition of possibly adding Protonix (especially IV) if IV nutrition is needed
- the possibility of a PICC line so I could spend more time at home with Brynn if IV nutrition is needed
- screening for placental problems such as a vasa previa which we had last time

We actually scheduled another appointment for next week to discuss what type of cerclage should be placed. The appointment is in conjunction with a peri from another large hospital nearby. Although the hospital that I work at and my peri that I met with is a large hospital facility, my peri wants us to get the second opinion on my care from the other large hospital facility in the area. Our hospital (the one I work at and will be treated at) does over 7000 deliveries a year and the peri group pulls in patients referred from over 17 local hospitals. I feel confident in the care I receive. But if my peri feels that a second opinion is warranted, I will certainly go to the appointment with the two peris next week. My peri said that even for a unicornuate uterus, our case is certainly not "textbook" and so they want to cover all their bases. (or asses?) Just kidding :-)

Risks discussed for both me or the potential baby with a future pregnancy...well.... I want to remain upbeat and I will not bullet point those here or now. It was nothing that I hadn't heard before or wasn't aware of. Regardless, I left the meeting excited and anxious. I want to get our transfer underway...I want to get the ball rolling.

Yesterday I started my provera in addition to the premarin I'm taking. I'll hopefully get a period in a couple of weeks and that will be the start of our transfer cycle. Next Thursday my RE wants to do a sonohystogram to take a peek inside my old uterus just to make sure things are squeeky clean. So keep your fingers crossed for me.

Tomorrow the hubby and I leave for New York City for a long weekend. It's the first time I've been away from Brynn for the night and I'm both looking forward to it and am worried of course about it. My parents are watching both her and Neela at our house so they'll be in the comfort of their own beds and familiar surroundings. Keep your fingers crossed that everyone survives the first time separation! Especially my parents :-)

32 comments:

The Mommy said...

I love that Brynn likes to clean! Both of my girls do too.
It's nice that your peri recognizes that Brynn IS a vp miracle. I'm so excited for you as you take the next steps to have another baby, but I'm so sorry about the Provera. I had to take it once for other female issues and thought I would lose my mind!
Enjoy your night away!

HereWeGoAJen said...

Go for the working vacuum! It's not like it would be any different from what she's doing already. Elizabeth likes to "vacuum" when I vacuum too.

Kristin said...

My son (4) is just now tolerating the real vacuum but he loves to do laundry. It's kind of warped but I am encouraging the love affair.

Glad your peri is covering all bases. I sure hope this next time around is a lot easier.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Such a cute picture and love the fact Brynn is such a Great Helper!!!
Happy Birthday, Dear Sara!!! My best wishes for a wonderful day, weekend, and year too!
It sounds like you and the docs are lining up excellent and proactive treatment options and am excited and happy for you all!
I realized that the increase of your uterus by 1 centimeter is actually a centimeter Cubed!!!
Enjoy NYC, we <3 Puglia Italian restaurant in Little Italy and Ferrar's pastry and coffee. ((HUGS))

Unknown said...

AMA is so just, yucky! Can we give sperm over the age of 35 some kind of moniker as well? : )

At one of my recent ultrasounds I had a tech that I had not seen before and she typed my birthday in wrong and said something about doing the Level 2 screen due to my age. I became very squirmish, um sorry I'm only 32. Oops she says, well your close...
Isnt having a doctor with even quirky bedside manner just make the entire proces just a little bit better.
Hugs!

Brandee

Adriane said...

Have a great weekend!! Can't believe 30 is advanced maternal age. :-)

Jen said...

Your doctor sounds fun, and sassy! Congrats on your getaway weekend-enjoy every second of it! And happy belated birthday!

admin said...

In age, we are not twins! How did I miss that? I am AMA! Just turned it...

Exciting news... Good appointments. All sounds positive.

Candi said...

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully, this upcoming pregnancy will be nice and easy!

Hilary said...

The picture is too cute..both my kiddos LOVED their vaccums too!! Have a great weekend with your Hubby..New York..how fun :) Praying for all your lady parts and your heart too!!!

Mainly a midwife said...

Try to enjoy your time in NYC. Kid free time is brief and precious. And just for the record, you are nowhere close to AMA. I wish all of my patients were 30. I worked in a practice where many were 38-42...talk about high risk. More GDM, more pre-eclampsia...etc..
which is one of the reasons why we aren't having any more babies :)

Heather said...

Lots and lots of luck! And you are a baby!!! I was 38 when I had our twins. I was definitely AMA, but I didn't feel like it was any different than when I was pregnant with Phoebe 8 years before.

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Fingers crossed & BTW, I just bought the same vacume yesterday. =)

Lisa said...

such a informative post! wow! I think I would go crazy trying to remember all of that stuff! VP miracles sure are not easy to forget, I know that for sure!

Carrie27 said...

Nothing wrong with letting her help you clean. Mine like using baby wipes to clean toys or floors, walls, etc when I'm dusting.

A long weekend away? Sounds fabulous!

Thankful Terri said...

Sarah, that is funny about Brynn and cleaning. If you want to hire her out, she is welcome to come clean mine, G refuses to go near the real vacuum.

I under stand the Dr.'s sense of humer, my OB had a good one and it took me a few visits to get him. Glad Brynn is doing ok. I hope all goes well for you and your family.
Brynn will be fine w/your parents.
Good Luck.

ryanandjoesmom said...

So good to have all the plans in place ahead of time. Wishing that all goes well with the FET. And for the record - age is all in the head. :-)

Two Shorten the Road said...

AMA is such crap. Here's one way of looking at it -- wow, Lexie sure was lucky to be born so early, because at least she was born before I turned 35! :P

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all your doctors are really keeping on top of things! My little one likes to help clean too! Get 'em started young! can't wait to hear all about your journey to give Brynn a sibling!

~stinkb0mb~ said...

Enjoy NYC! Dead jealous!

ICLW
#41
http://themissruby.blogspot.com/gra

BU said...

I don't know if I'd think that doctor was funny after that. :) But then I'm almost 32 so....

Aunt Becky said...

AMA is so mean. But then again, I always see it and think, "against medical advice!?!"

battynurse said...

Keeping everything crossed that the upcoming appointments and the FET go well. Have a good weekend.

April said...

It's cute that she wants to help you She's beautiful!

ICLW

Bethanie said...

Your daughter is a cutie - Congrats! Hoping for miracles with your FET.
ICLW #166 Bethanie (fellow UUer)

Krissi said...

Wow! First off, so sorry to hear about your twin miscarraige! Second, I want to congratulate you on your success with IVF! I have 3 wonderful miracles via IVF! Your daughter is adorable! Next I want to say that you sound like your next pregnancy will be tough and definitely with challenges (and I'm sure stress) but it appears you are up for it! Good luck with this FET! You are too funny about your doctor! You literally had me LOL!!! Happy ICLW! (#45 & 46) PS I just added your link to both my successful list and 'awesome' list!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you feel so comfortable with your doctor! But seriously, when you're a high risk pregnancy, even joking about one more thing seems a wee bit out of line but you took it very well. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! Maybe it's time to start talking allowance with Dh for Brynn. She will be a wiz with the vacuum in no tme.

The Lynchs said...

I'm sure all those appointments are no fun, but how exciting to be moving along again!!

Have fun in NY!

Liddy said...

Great I am advanced maternal age as well.

An ICLW Visit from #107 (mfi, speedskating, strength)
liddy @ the unfair struggle

Ashlee G. said...

I loved cleaning when I was little- it turned into a nice habit when I got older.

Happy ICLW!

MrsSpock said...

That sounds like a very good plan!